WAB - widget to buffer polygon perimeter?

08-19-2016 09:21 AM
ElizabethB
New Contributor III

Hello all - I need a widget that will buffer the outside of a polygon - not the centroid. User will type in address and then the widget should allow them to buffer their entire parcel.  (Goal is to locate fire hydrants that are within 500, 1000, or 1500 feet from the parcel boundary). NearMe only does the centroid. The situational analysis widget is great except users shouldn't draw their own polygons.  Is there anything canned I can use? Any advice appreciated, thanks!

0 Kudos
18 Replies
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Elizabeth,

This is a workflow that the eSearch was designed for.

https://community.esri.com/docs/DOC-1731 

But if you are not using WAB Dev then you can use the the query widget in WAB 2.1 to how mimics the eSearches ability to buffer and do spatial queries.

ElizabethB
New Contributor III

Thanks, Robert, I'll give this a try. I hope to one day be ready to tackle your Enhanced Search Widget, I've heard a LOT of great things about it - I'll have to introduce myself to WAB Dev, though

Thanks again-

0 Kudos
AndrewValenski
New Contributor II

Elizabeth B‌ 

If you have an ArcGIS Server site, you can also publish a geoprocessing service that buffers polygons and looks for intersections with that buffer. Web App Builder (AGOL, Portal & Dev) all support the geoprocessing widget where these calls can be made. This will also accomplish the workflow you're looking for, it sounds. If you have not worked with this widget before, you can check out the documentation page here: Geoprocessing widget—Web AppBuilder for ArcGIS | ArcGIS 

Thanks!

0 Kudos
ElizabethB
New Contributor III

Oh thanks, this might be the way to go - the query widget isn't letting me work with the results of the query. I'll try this next. Thank you!

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Elizabeth,

What do you mean by this:

the query widget isn't letting me work with the results of the query
0 Kudos
ElizabethB
New Contributor III

Here's what I'm trying to do:  User searches on parcel layer (using Address field) -> then I need to take the parcel that was selected and buffer that by 500/1000/1500 ft -> then select and highlight any hydrants within that buffer distance -> then display info on hydrants in a popup.  I'm sure the issue is me but it's not letting me get hydrants within a buffer distance....

0 Kudos
AndrewValenski
New Contributor II

Elizabeth

The model you're looking to deploy is the following:

Please let me know if you need help creating this!

Thanks,

Andrew

RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Elizabeth,

Hmm. the Query widget does not seem to mimic the eSearch functionality when it deals with working spatial selections. The way that it has to be done is outlined below:

1. Setup your parcel query to select the parcel of interest by some attribute value.
  2. Setup your hydrant query choosing the "Only return features that have a spatial relationship with features in another layer" and then expand that option to select the ability to buffer.
  3. Select you parcel layer and execute the query.
  4. Select the hydrant query task next and choose the Related layer as the results from step 3 and specify your buffer distance.
ElizabethB
New Contributor III

Robert-

I've been going down the Developer Edition rabbit hole - because I want to try and use your Enhanced Search widget. I have it in my C:\WebAppBuilderForArcGIS\widgets folder but when i open a new app it is not listed. Am I missing a step somewhere? 

Thanks-

0 Kudos