WAB Developer: How to debug without "Create New" application?

Jump to solution
06-26-2019 10:09 AM
BingJing
New Contributor III

I am working on Robert's Enhanced Search Widget. (I need to make it query 8 parcel layers at one button click)

First, I have a question for Robert, is it okay to modify your code for our usage?

Every time I changed some coding, I need to do the following:
1. close the command window

2. re-launch the startup.bat

3. In the new tab of http://xxx.xxx.local:3344/webappbuilder , Create a new application->, choose my basemap from arcgis online, add my widget to test. (If I use an existing application, I do not see the update. Even if I force the chrome browser by pressing Ctrl+F5.)

What is the right way of debugging applications? I am guessing it is the Chrome cache, but Ctrl+F5 did not clear cache.. I copied the URL to EDGE and it would not work.

Thank you!

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Bing,

Yes, you can modify the eSearch widget how ever you want. Searching 8 layers with one button click is not something that is supported by my widget so you will have to extensively customize to meet that requirement.

Your issue with your development workflow is likely you are make your changes in the stemApp widget folder. The way WAB dev works is once you create an app and add a widget it clones (copies) the widget from the stemApp widgets folder over to your apps widgets folder. Here is my standard dev workflow:

• I do ALL my development in the [install dir]\server\apps\[app #]\widgets\my custom widget name folder.
  • Once I am done will my development I copy the widget folder back into the stemapp widgets folder so that new apps will use the completed widget code.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Bing,

Yes, you can modify the eSearch widget how ever you want. Searching 8 layers with one button click is not something that is supported by my widget so you will have to extensively customize to meet that requirement.

Your issue with your development workflow is likely you are make your changes in the stemApp widget folder. The way WAB dev works is once you create an app and add a widget it clones (copies) the widget from the stemApp widgets folder over to your apps widgets folder. Here is my standard dev workflow:

• I do ALL my development in the [install dir]\server\apps\[app #]\widgets\my custom widget name folder.
  • Once I am done will my development I copy the widget folder back into the stemapp widgets folder so that new apps will use the completed widget code.
BingJing
New Contributor III

Hi Robert

I just followed your way of development and it is working. Thank you. I appreciate all your help, starting from Flex Viewer.

I am working on the function "onSearchFinish". It is challenging...  So far I am reading and debugging through your code to understand it first.  

0 Kudos