WAB blocking processes and not starting

11-09-2015 12:55 PM
RichardHughes
New Contributor III

I've installed the latest version of WAB onto windows 7 and have node version 4.2.2LTS installed on the system.  I am able to run MongoDB, grunt, and dojo build all on Node without issues.  When I install WAB it initially boots up quickly.  Eventually when I startup the server.js file either using command line or with the startup.bat, the WAB startup seems to block all processes on my pc and the browser freezes.  The NT Kernal is getting jammed.  The program does not load.  When I close the Command Prompt and kill the WAB server, the pc immediately jumps back into action.

Has anyone else experienced this behavior with node.js or the WAB?  Is this an issue with running on Windows?

0 Kudos
13 Replies
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Richard,

No it is not an issue with running on windows as I and many other are doing that successfully. Does your computer freeze before it opens a browser window to display the WAB app in?

0 Kudos
RichardHughes
New Contributor III

Yes, the default Chrome browser is not opened by the WAB startup.  In the command prompt things stop right after the "...Repository Items Refreshed...".  I just attempted the startup.bat and I was unable to type in this text box until the command prompt was closed.

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Richard,

Try deleting the whole WAB directory folder and downloading it again. It sounds like you got a corrupted download.

0 Kudos
RichardHughes
New Contributor III

Right out of the gate with a fresh download and the WAB opens up the default Chrome browser as expected.

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Richard,

Glad it is working now.

Don't forget to mark this thread as answered. To do this you have to open the thread (you can not see the correct answer link from inside your inbox) and then you will see the green star with correct answer link. Just click that link on the thread that answered your question.

0 Kudos
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

If after a reboot it does the same thing, I'll add my process to the discussion.

After a clean reboot, the first time I use the startup.bat, it opens the node window but the WAB window never opens the browser window (Firefox by default for me).  I just close the node window, then double-click the startup.bay again and all starts as it should.  I can open/close as much as needed with the startup.  After a reboot, it will take the open-close-open again.

So, if you have issues again, try this before a re download/install.

0 Kudos
RichardHughes
New Contributor III

This morning I booted up my pc and opened the startup bat only to have WAB freeze just after the ',,,Repository Items Refreshed,,,'.  Closing the WAB command prompt and reopening did allow a new web page to open but the loading screen is taking forever....  Going to reboot the machine. 

Have you been able to configure good logging for WAB and the node server?  I am a python and javascripter but my knowledge of Node does not include how to troubleshoot Node.

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Richard,

WAB has logging enabled by default the logs are stored in the [install dir]\server\logs\appbuilder.log

RichardHughes
New Contributor III

These are the log entries for this morning after I used the startup.bat file three times.  The browser window opens but the WAB freezes.  Could a code exception cause this without throwing an error?

[2015-11-11 08:52:37.245] [INFO] repo - Read repository items: C:\CODE\arcgis-web-appbuilder-1.2\client\stemapp\widgets

[2015-11-11 08:52:39.556] [INFO] repo - Read repository items: C:\CODE\arcgis-web-appbuilder-1.2\client\stemapp\themes

[2015-11-11 08:53:37.717] [INFO] repo - Read repository items: C:\CODE\arcgis-web-appbuilder-1.2\client\stemapp\widgets

[2015-11-11 08:53:38.887] [INFO] repo - Read repository items: C:\CODE\arcgis-web-appbuilder-1.2\client\stemapp\themes

[2015-11-11 08:55:07.855] [INFO] repo - Read repository items: C:\CODE\arcgis-web-appbuilder-1.2\client\stemapp\widgets

[2015-11-11 08:55:09.036] [INFO] repo - Read repository items: C:\CODE\arcgis-web-appbuilder-1.2\client\stemapp\themes

0 Kudos