Using Custom Widgets in AGOL and Portal

Jump to solution
04-11-2016 05:42 PM
RandallClark2
Occasional Contributor II

So i know, or i think, that this has been asked many time before but i am still unclear as to if it is possible or not , especially since the release of 10.3 and now 10.4 but is there a way to use custom widgets that i make using WAB Dev or that others have made.

Really for the time i am interested in widget made by others.

Anyone care to enlighten me?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Randall,

Currently it is not possible to add custom widgets to AGOL WAB or Portal WAB. The development team is working towards make this a possibility for Portal WAB though. If you want to use custom widget right now the only option is to use WAB Dev and host the app on your own web server or some web hosting service.

View solution in original post

21 Replies
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Randall,

Currently it is not possible to add custom widgets to AGOL WAB or Portal WAB. The development team is working towards make this a possibility for Portal WAB though. If you want to use custom widget right now the only option is to use WAB Dev and host the app on your own web server or some web hosting service.

RandallClark2

Hi Robert,

Thanks for the quick and concise response.

Obligatory follow up question 1:

Any idea when the Dev team plans to release a update that allows customs widgets to work with Portal WAB?

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

No,  All I got was that they are looking hard at it, but there was even hesitation to announce it at the Dev Summit.

0 Kudos
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Robert, as a somewhat work around, could you kind of create your own geoprocessing tool on the desktop side, publish it, and then add it as a geoprocessing widget?

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Adrian,

Sure, if you can get what you want in a GP Service.

0 Kudos
RandallClark2

This is what i am trying to do...

But IMO making it easy to bring in custom widgets seems to be a no brainier. There are a lot of widgets out i would love to use.  Roberts eSearch Widget comes to mind right away but since i dont have the background of access to the skills need to publish it to a web server and integrate in to my maps that way.. well i am just stuck.

ESRI hits it out of the park sometimes and other times just drops it...

RandallClark2

So i am understanding this, WEB Dev is need to build apps and widgets but to use WEB Dev you need Portal or AGOL but once you make a Web App you cant not deploy it except to your own web server?

Follow up question, where would i look to learn the second part?

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Randall,

You got it. The second part of deploying your app to your own web server is pretty standard IT stuff so you may want to involve your IT guys. But if you are just wanting to learn it yourself then then look at this pdf from Tapas. Start at page 227 but the whole pdf will probably be useful.

http://www.tapasdas.com/WABv2.pdf

RandallClark2

"want to involve your IT guys"

haha ahh thats pretty much me...everything we are doing from setting up Sever to configuring public access to service to install Portal is all new to the IT department here. Plus its just quicker and faster if i do it myself sometimes.

Thanks for link

0 Kudos