Specify your URL (Get Started > Specify your URL > step 1)

Jump to solution
02-05-2016 02:24 PM
RuthannL
New Contributor

Hi,

I am trying to set up Web App Builder.  I have downloaded the file and, since I have a Windows OS, I have double-clicked on the startup.bat.  This launched the Command Prompt as well as Web App Builder in a Chrome browser (me default browser). 

In the browser, the instructions are to specify the URL for the organization or Portal for ArcGIS.  In the Get Started instructions, Specify your URL section, step 1 says the following:

Specify your portal URL

1. Specify the URL for the ArcGIS Online organization or Portal for ArcGIS account that you want Web AppBuilder to access. To use Web AppBuilder, you must have an ArcGIS Online organization account, a Portal for ArcGIS account, or a ArcGIS for Developers account.

I have a trial developers account so I entered the URL for this account.  A second prompt appeared asking for the App ID.  I entered my my subscription ID from my dev account.  I think that this was incorrect.  Now I keep getting an invalid account ID error.  When I try to enter the URL again, it just immediately directs me to this page. 

I do not know if

- the account URL is incorrect;

- the app id was incorrect;

- I need to create an app id before even creating an app even though it isn't in the instructions;

- or how to reset to start over.

Thank you for the assistance.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Ruthann,

The app id you specified was incorrect. The way you can fix this is to open your WAB install directory folder and open the server folder and find the signininfo.json file and just delete it (this is a file that will automatically be re-created). This will allow you to go through the portal url and app id steps again. This time for the app ID follow the instructions here.

Get started—Web AppBuilder for ArcGIS (Developer Edition) | ArcGIS for Developers | App Id

View solution in original post

8 Replies
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Ruthann,

The app id you specified was incorrect. The way you can fix this is to open your WAB install directory folder and open the server folder and find the signininfo.json file and just delete it (this is a file that will automatically be re-created). This will allow you to go through the portal url and app id steps again. This time for the app ID follow the instructions here.

Get started—Web AppBuilder for ArcGIS (Developer Edition) | ArcGIS for Developers | App Id

RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

And if that doc doesn work, check out Tips and Observations for getting Web AppBuilder -  Developer Edition Installed​  or Installing Robert’s Enhanced Search Widget for the Web AppBuilder  for quite a bit of information on how to install and use custom widgets.

For the list of other resources, check out my other blog Web AppBuilder Developer Edition - Customization Resource List

RuthannL
New Contributor

Hi Robert,

Thank you for your response.  I was able to fix this in the way that you specified.  I have a follow-up question about the App ID now. 

I read through the instructions for installation.  It appears that I need to have an ArcGIS Online Organization account or a Portal for ArcGIS 10.3.1 and higher account.  I only have a trial Dev account.  I did not see the My Content section in the Dev account.  I did see a way to add an App, however.  When I tried this it did not create an App ID. 

I do not want this to sound redundant, but do I need to have an ArcGIS Online Org account or a Portal account?  In the preceding steps for using the WAB I only needed a Dev account.  Is there another way to try out WAB if I am not part of an organization?  Is there a way to try it out with just my trial Dev account?

Thank you for the information.

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Ruthann,

The free trail account that you setup, if it was the 30 day AGOL then you will need to signup for a free AGOL developer account as in this link here:

Plans | ArcGIS for Developers

0 Kudos
RuthannL
New Contributor

Hi Robert,

I set up a free trial Developer account with 50 credits.  I signed up from the same page that you sent.  In my account I do not see a My Content section as the directions for setting up the App ID describe.  How do I set up or find the App ID from my developer account?

Thank you for your help!

0 Kudos
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Did you "Sign in" to you AGOL developer  account?  If you just go  to the main page My Content will not show, but once you log in it should be up top.

0 Kudos
RuthannL
New Contributor

Hi Rebecca,

Thank you for the instructions and the screen shot.  I think that I have figured it out.  I signed up for a developer account through the instructions in the Do-It-Yourself GeoApp Mooc, see attached.  This created a developer account.  When I initially signed into the account, I saw the home page that you showed in the screen shot; however, when I signed in at the link that Robert provided, I saw a completely different home page with the same account.  I was not able to figure out how to navigate from one set of functions in the dev account to the AGOL account.  I have to sign in again with the same account on the AGOL page.

Do you know how to get from the dev account home page, as pictured below to the AGOL home page?  They seem to be part of the same account but they require separate sign-ins with the same information.

When I sign into my dev account I see this set of functions,

When I sign into AGOL directly with the same account, I see this set of functions,

Thanks for your help!  I really appreciate all of your and Robert's instructions!

0 Kudos
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Ruthann, can you show a screen shot of the login for the "ArcGIS for Developers", and also the URL?

There are different "sets" of user names, and they can actually be associated with the same email.  What used to be called the "Esri global" account and is now just called an "esri account"  is used with myEsri and GeoNet.  AGOL many times has a different account, and can only access the other is "esri access" is granted.

For me, I keep the two separate on purpose.  I also have a AGOL account for work and another one that is a AGOL-Developer account.

A troubleshooting page...  Account troubleshoot—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS

And a link that probably explains things better than I can.. Frequently asked questions—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS

What is an ArcGIS account and how is it different from an Esri Account?

An ArcGIS account gives you access to ArcGIS. It can be a public account or an organizational account. An Esri Account gives you access to Esri web resources such as My Esri and GeoNet. It is also a public account. You can sign in to ArcGIS with your Esri Account and access the public components of ArcGIS. If your ArcGIS account is a public account, you automatically have access to Esri web resources. If your ArcGIS account is an organizational account, your administrator can give you access to Esri web resources by enabling Esri access for your account.

I'm not sure if this helps solve you issue, but determining he difference between the different accounts, and what type of accounts your are is a start.  My guess is that the developer account you signed up for during the MOOC is associated with the MOOC's AGOL account.  You may want to create a new dev account for you own use.

0 Kudos