Smart Editor: User does nto have the privilege to perform this operation

07-15-2021 03:15 PM
LLCCG
by
New Contributor III

I created a Web Mapping Application for members of my organization to use. The Web App is currently shared with a testing group within my organization. The underlying Web Map is also shared with that group.

My goal is to have the ability for users to drop a colored pin on the map to "tag" a location. I created a hosted feature layer for this purpose (on my Content tab, I clicked "Create" and then "Feature Layer"). The feature layer is empty. I shared this layer with the group as well, and added it to the web map. The sharing settings for the layer look like this:

LLCCG_0-1626386696132.png

In the Web App, I added the Smart Editor widget. The "pin" layer--and only the pin layer--are checked as "editable" in the widget settings. "Allow delete" is also checked. The general settings tab looks like this: 

LLCCG_1-1626386886232.png

In the web map, I added a few feature type templates. When I open the app, I can click on Smart Editor, select one of my templates, and drop it on the map. It works exactly like I want it to. 

However, when any other user in the group does the same thing, it pops up an error that says "User does not have the privilege to perform this operation." 

I can't figure out what setting I'm missing. Any ideas?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
AlixVezina
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi @LLCCG ,

Thank you for posting your questions.

It seems multiple things could be at play here. Here are a few things I would double-check:

1. The sharing of your editable feature layer - make sure it's properly shared with that group.

2. The permissions for the user in the group - are they allowed to edit (see user types and roles)?

Please, would you be able also to share some screenshots of your application with the correct/expected behavior, and also screenshots of the unexpected error?

If you are also able to share the application (potentially adding me to the group) that would be even better so I can look into this more closely. My username: AlixSolutions

0 Kudos
LLCCG
by
New Contributor III

Ah, I see what I did. The other users have Viewer accounts. Is there any way that I can give them permission to edit only that one single layer, as opposed to everything that is shared with them? They need to be able to view the other layers, but they should have no ability to edit them. If I make them a Creator account, they'll be able to edit other features in other layers, which scares me. 

The only persistent change I want them to be able to make to anything is to drop a pin on a location (with that pin only being visible to their group). 

0 Kudos
AlixVezina
Esri Regular Contributor

The only layers Viewer users will be able to edit are layers shared publicly (with everyone) and with public editing enabled. If you were to change these users to Creators instead, you should be able to restrict editing from the Smart Editor widget configuration in the application, or simply disable editing for that layer in the layer settings.

0 Kudos