Serving a custom Web AppBuilder App from Heroku

Jump to solution
03-07-2018 10:34 AM
JustinBridwell
New Contributor II

I am running Web AppBuilder-Developer's Edition on my local and I want to be able to build a custom Web AppBuilder app, download the code (and modify/customize it), and then serve it from an PaaS like Heroku. ALthough I know that Web AppBuilder Apps are based on a NodeJS framework, when I downloaded the files/code for my app, I noticed that it doesn't have quite the same file structure as a NodeJS application (Ex: the package.json file is  in the libs folder). Also, there is no Web Server component like Express that would typically be used with NodeJS. Has anyone tried launching a standalone version of a Web AppBuilder app from a PaaS? I know it can be done using .Net/IIS, but I don't want to go that route.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Justin,

The big thing to understand is the WAB developer is using NodeJS for the builder portion, but once you download the app it is just a JS Web App and has no NodeJS dependencies. So there is going to be a lot of difference between the Builder folder structure and the downloaded apps structure that is just a JS web app. The downloaded app will work on any machine that has a web server.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Justin,

The big thing to understand is the WAB developer is using NodeJS for the builder portion, but once you download the app it is just a JS Web App and has no NodeJS dependencies. So there is going to be a lot of difference between the Builder folder structure and the downloaded apps structure that is just a JS web app. The downloaded app will work on any machine that has a web server.