Scale setting widget

11-12-2018 04:39 AM
SimonCrutchley
Occasional Contributor III

Is there a widget in Web App Builder to allow you to set a fixed scale at which a map appears? Ideally you could enter the scale, but if not a pick list would do?

Ta

Simon

Tags (1)
24 Replies
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Kevin,

In the past this would require a round trip to the GeometryService to re-project the cursor coordinates and every mouse move would require this round trip which is NOT practical at all and makes a very "Chatty" application. In today's JS API where is the projection class that allows for clientside projection in modern browsers so this could be more of an option but no one has gone down the road of make a widget or updating the coordinate widget to use the projection class.

MattSmith6
New Contributor III

Struggling with this myself. But I'm using WAB in a Portal environment in a large organisation, so it's not so easy for me as simply "Adding a Widget". It does seem a bit silly that if you customise your own scales using WAB you should be able to view the scales you've specified.

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Our users for a site I am creating have already noted this. And lack of labeling what the different systems are. For example, I added DMS, decimal degrees and MGRS. https://cloud.sagis.org/sagisnext2 Sure I could inject it but... WAB team could make the coordinate options label what they are. I'll wait a few quarters and see if they do. For example if it's GA State Plane East in MGRS, that is exactly what the text should say in the HTML/DOM for the selection. Otherwise it's trial and error. Same for not having the coordinates update in real time, is it would be a nice touch.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I would note, that if ArcGIS Server resampled on the fly (like it always should have) one thing, it would save every customer in the world with aerials dozens of terabytes of disk space. Really.  I cache to 1:70 because resampling:true in the REST API as a flag, doesn't work. (allegedly that bug was fixed in 10.7.1, I have yet to tested yet but will be soon. Change default behavior to resampling: "true" for tiled services   Change default behavior to resampling: "true" for tiled services ) but then.. this would be a non-issue. Tiles and imagery could be bilinear resampled on the fly. Meantime, tile on demand I would like to also work hand in hand. Let's say people zoom to 70 and I have not cached that, but I did set the LOD for that in a custom tile scheme. My idea... First... the resample loads. Then... the better quality tile loads after 30 secs from tile on demand, and from there on out is already tiled. So customers aren't waiting on tile on demand. Also... resampling would enable going to arbitrary scales in between LODs.  Basically, I understand some of the platform constraints as currently designed. And hence the platform needs feature enhancements to support resampling of tiled imagery at any arbitrary scale. So it "just works". Engineers and the like are used to being able to just view something at a particular scale. 

I would highly recommend this feature enhancement as it would free up enormous space on customer SANs (no more caching to 1:70) in addition to making more inroads in engineering circles. (i.e.. revenue...) 

0 Kudos
SimonJackson
Occasional Contributor III

Anyone got a widget for this one yet?  My basemaps are not cached, either vector tiles or dynamic map services which dont have fixed LODs.