Running ESRI Web AppBuilder on an Intranet

Jump to solution
03-05-2015 11:50 AM
Alaind_Espaignet
New Contributor II

I know it is possible to host ESRI Web AppBuilder under node.js on any machine. I just did it.

What I don't understand is the RedirectURL asked for when registering an app in AGOL.

What is the purpose of this and the AppID thing?

I already have ArcGIS Servers and web servers but they are not public facing they are for domain authenticated users only!

My GIS data is also for internal user's eyes only.

Is it possible at all to run AppBuilder in this kind of environment?

i.e. use map services from my intranet ArcGIS Server and web servers. I see there is a widget for local ArcGIS Server this already.

But if the server I am hosting AppBuilder on is not public facing and does not even have a static IP how is the RedirectURl thing supposed to work?

How do I develop widgets on my machine and get AppBuilder to work there?

What is the use of having the ability to run and host AppBuilder if you end up with error 400 with the RedirectURL thing?

Is it possible to do what I am trying to do which is

to leverage my existing ArcGIS Servers investment and

taking advantage of an existing application framework

focus on building widgets for my app

and not re-inventing the wheel

What is the harm to ESRI if I do that? I am still buying ESRI Servers am I not?

What am I missing?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

if you want to keep everything internal you should look at installing Portal.  Portal is similar to ArcGIS Online but keep totally in-house.  Although I haven't used it for production purposes, I installed it during a beta and it seemed fairly straight forward.  Keep in mind that Portal will always be slightly behind features becoming available with AGOL, since the online platform is much easier for esri to deploy than Portal (and Web AppBuilder Dev edition).

As for my opinion on why the appid is necessary with the redirect, this is a way to register the use of the software. Although WAB is a freely available download, and pretty much anyone can get a subscription to AGOL at least for development, esri does put resources and effort into creating the application and like most sites, I don't see a problem with them wanting users to authenticate using AGOL or Portal. 

However, that doesn't mean I don't appreciate the efforts of talented users willing to develop and share custom widgets, including and especially the widget that (once a base map mapid is registered) allows us to directly use our AGS services.  I beleive that as esri sees a demand for some of these widgets and chatter on the forums, more and more of these features will be released thru AGOL and eventually WAB and Portal.  case in point, ArcGIS Online | What's New - March 2015   with the next version of WAB anticipated to be released sometime later this month (my guess would be during or right after the Dev Summit, but that's just my opinion, nothing official). Again, because Portal is package differently, that may be on a slightly different schedule.

So, I would suggest looking more into what you have available thru you ArcGIS Server licensing for Portal, and talk with you customer rep or tech support If you have specific questions.  And, even though my notes are tested for Online, some of my tips may help with Portal also.  I have four blog docs, but the install tips and the resource docs might be your best bet for getting started.  I feel your frustration of all things wanting seeming to need AGOL, but at least they are providing an alternative with Portal.  i hope some of this helps.

Tips and Observations for getting Web AppBuilder - Developer Edition Installed

Web AppBuilder Developer Edition – Customization Resource List

View solution in original post

2 Replies
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

if you want to keep everything internal you should look at installing Portal.  Portal is similar to ArcGIS Online but keep totally in-house.  Although I haven't used it for production purposes, I installed it during a beta and it seemed fairly straight forward.  Keep in mind that Portal will always be slightly behind features becoming available with AGOL, since the online platform is much easier for esri to deploy than Portal (and Web AppBuilder Dev edition).

As for my opinion on why the appid is necessary with the redirect, this is a way to register the use of the software. Although WAB is a freely available download, and pretty much anyone can get a subscription to AGOL at least for development, esri does put resources and effort into creating the application and like most sites, I don't see a problem with them wanting users to authenticate using AGOL or Portal. 

However, that doesn't mean I don't appreciate the efforts of talented users willing to develop and share custom widgets, including and especially the widget that (once a base map mapid is registered) allows us to directly use our AGS services.  I beleive that as esri sees a demand for some of these widgets and chatter on the forums, more and more of these features will be released thru AGOL and eventually WAB and Portal.  case in point, ArcGIS Online | What's New - March 2015   with the next version of WAB anticipated to be released sometime later this month (my guess would be during or right after the Dev Summit, but that's just my opinion, nothing official). Again, because Portal is package differently, that may be on a slightly different schedule.

So, I would suggest looking more into what you have available thru you ArcGIS Server licensing for Portal, and talk with you customer rep or tech support If you have specific questions.  And, even though my notes are tested for Online, some of my tips may help with Portal also.  I have four blog docs, but the install tips and the resource docs might be your best bet for getting started.  I feel your frustration of all things wanting seeming to need AGOL, but at least they are providing an alternative with Portal.  i hope some of this helps.

Tips and Observations for getting Web AppBuilder - Developer Edition Installed

Web AppBuilder Developer Edition – Customization Resource List

Alaind_Espaignet
New Contributor II

Rebecca,

I used ArcEngine to build disconnected GIS apps.

I had to built an application framework with an "add-in" mechanism first.

I bought the developer license and got on with it.

Similarly I built apps using ESRI's Silverlight SDK. That was free to use.

I did not build a "framework" as this was a one off app.

I also develop AddIns for ArcMap, that's free to use however I need/want.

This leverages the AddIn mechanism in ArcMap which I did not have to re-invent to get in field code updates.

I built apps using the Javascript API and that's wide open for use.

All these API took effort for ESRI to build.

These have some or no restrictions and they truly enable devs to do what they need to do.

It is a pity that App Builder is not that open and tied to Portal/AGOL.

I'd rather pay a dev license fee upfront and use it in whatever context.

Well at least with Portal it appears that there is a way out for those who are not ready to go AGOL yet.

Thanks for pointing me in that direction.

0 Kudos