Run query against SQL Server

Jump to solution
11-30-2015 10:48 AM
DanNorman
Occasional Contributor

Hi all, has anyone here on the forum spent any time setting up a widget that can run queries (insert, update, delete) against a sql server database table that is not stored in an ArcGIS server database?

We would like to know whether it is as simple as having the correct database connection string and credentials and passing a query... or whether it is much more involved.

This doesn't necessarily matter but the table would be set up for Tempest land management software.

Thanks!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Dan,

This is not something that can be done using clientside technology like JS. You would have to have a web service on the server that has access to the enterprise database. As a .Net developer I have created RESTfull .net web services to read enterprise databases all the time but I have never had the need to write to them. Either way this is no elementary task.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Dan,

This is not something that can be done using clientside technology like JS. You would have to have a web service on the server that has access to the enterprise database. As a .Net developer I have created RESTfull .net web services to read enterprise databases all the time but I have never had the need to write to them. Either way this is no elementary task.

DanNorman
Occasional Contributor

Thank you very much for the reply Robert, that does answer my question.

I wont blame the messenger for the bad news!

Thanks!

0 Kudos