Proxies Needed? Portal with WAB

Jump to solution
03-16-2016 08:27 AM
NicholasMcNamara
Occasional Contributor II

I'm using Portal and WAB Dev. I can create maps OK, preview them fine and everything, and export them fine. But when I move them to wwwroot, they will not display. It flashes the loading screen for a second, then displays a "Unable to Connect" screen. There's a lot of documentation on proxies and ArcGIS Online, but we aren't using proxies for anything on our network, and it's unclear whether I need a proxy or not to do this on my localhost or my server. I tried following the directions for proxies and ArcGIS Online, but I don't know what the settings are since there is no documentation of proxies and Portal... anywhere.

If anyone could clarify this, that would be great. I have an app ready to deploy. I'm using WAB 1.3 and 10.4 for Portal, Server, etc.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
NicholasMcNamara

OK, I called Esri on this and basically, unlike the Flex Viewer apps that I can just throw in wwwroot and they work, my HTML5 apps created with WAB don't work on my local machine. However, if I copy them to the server they do work. No proxies required. Apparently I need some setting in IIS or certificate or something on my localhost to test there, but I can just skip that and toss it on the server instead. It's no public, Aravind.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Nick,

I don't have much experience with portal but can you look at your browsers web console and see if there are any error reported there that would shed some light on this?

AravindStoryMaps
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Nick, is your portal web map shared to no one? Additionally, is your Portal public-facing?

0 Kudos
NicholasMcNamara

OK, I called Esri on this and basically, unlike the Flex Viewer apps that I can just throw in wwwroot and they work, my HTML5 apps created with WAB don't work on my local machine. However, if I copy them to the server they do work. No proxies required. Apparently I need some setting in IIS or certificate or something on my localhost to test there, but I can just skip that and toss it on the server instead. It's no public, Aravind.

0 Kudos
ApurvDanke1
New Contributor

I have a very basic question which is a bit related to this topic. I want to be able to build apps in web app builder and then download the app files, and host it in web server such as IIS, and register the app in Portal for ArcGIS. Once this is done, and I have a URL which looks like -> http://machinename/appname/index.html

Once an end user opens the app in a browser, does that user also need to be a named user in Portal for ArcGIS? For example, I need the app to be accessed by 100+ users. Do those users need to be all named users? Do I need to purchase the named user licenses? Or can this app be directly accessed without requiring named user login details i.e. similar to the Flex Viewer which was available freely?

Regards,

Apurv

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Apurv,

No there is no need for named users to access the app. The only situation that a named user will be needed is if the web map has secured services in it and you have not setup the proxy to handle authentication for that secure service.

ApurvDanke1
New Contributor

Hi Robert,

Thanks for your response! Just for clarification what I mean by "named user" is someone who has to choose one of the following options while accessing the app URL -

1. ArcGIS Online

2. Portal for ArcGIS

Then after choosing any one of these options, the user has to provide username and password which has been created by the Portal for ArcGIS administrator. So as per your response, does it mean there won't be a login screen which would force the user to choose one of the two options and provide the credentials to access the app?

Regards,

Apurv

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Apurv,

Correct, there will be no request for login.

ApurvDanke1
New Contributor

Thanks Robert for your input.

We 're planning to implement a web-GIS solution using Web App Builder. There would be around 1000 users for this web-GIS. However there would be 5 or 6 different user groups who would like to see different layers/attributes. Hence we think that it would need to be done by creating a separate web map for each user group, and build 6 different apps using Web App Builder which would use its own web map. Is there a better way to achieve this? For example, can just one set of map services (operational, basemap, imagery) be utilised to create 6 different web maps with their own different layers/attributes/layer ordering/layer groups? Personally I dont think this is possible as all this configuration is locked down at MXD level, and separate set of services need to be published for different web maps. Would like to have your opinion on this as to what would be the optimal way ahead?

Thanks,

Apurv

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Apurv,

You are correct you are very limited in what you can change concerning the map service when configuring the web map, so yes I agree that different map services would be required and separate web maps as well.