Problem printing vector tiles with Web AppBuilder print widget

06-29-2017 01:58 PM
ScottKiley
Occasional Contributor II

After the June 2017 update to ArcGIS Online, Web AppBuilder apps that use print services in ArcGIS Server 10.4.1 generate maps with Esri's vector tiles incorrectly. The attached image shows the map created with the World Navigation vector tile service. Is out only alternative to upgrade our ArcGIS Server to 10.5?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
13 Replies
ChelseaRozek
MVP Regular Contributor

Have you heard anything about this issue? I'm getting the same issue with our 10.3.1 and 10.4.1 print services. The colors are messed up when printing some vector basemaps. Others turn out fine. When I use ESRI's print service they come out fine. I have a case open with ESRI, but so far no answers.

0 Kudos
ScottKiley
Occasional Contributor II

I haven't heard anything on this. Please add any information you get. Thanks.

0 Kudos
ChelseaRozek
MVP Regular Contributor

We're still investigating it, but as of now, it looks like 10.3.1 and 10.4.1 can't handle the vector tile printing correctly. Using either ESRI's default print service or 10.5.1 works. I'll post again when the case closes.

ChelseaRozek
MVP Regular Contributor

Case has been closed. Nothing new to report, except for this related bug that's been filed that's listed as "Not in Current Product Plan" BUG-000103321: Some Esri vector basemaps print to the Streets basem.. We'll be upgrading to 10.5.1 soon, but I wish it was clearer in the documentation that most people can't print vector layers properly yet.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

This is still an ongoing issue... any updates from anyone on when this will be fixed?

0 Kudos
TanuHoque
Esri Regular Contributor

The issue is fixed in the out of the box Utilities\PrintingTools service in 10.6.

What's new in ArcGIS Server 10.6—Improved print service 

here is a sample print service that you can try on:

http://sampleserver6.arcgisonline.com/arcgis/rest/services/Utilities/PrintingTools/GPServer 

if you have custom print services (such as print service with your own templates or arcpy based print service), then you need to re-publish them from ArcGIS Pro 2.1 or above.

Tutorial: Publishing additional services for printing—Documentation (10.5) | ArcGIS Enterprise 

Pls note, if you want to use 10.6's out of the box print service or a print service published from ArcGIS Pro, we strongly recommend to install the follow patch for some performance and durability reasons.

ArcGIS Server 10.6 Printing and Script Tool Patch 

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Tanu,

Thank you very much for your answer, I will give this a try!

0 Kudos
XuejinRuan
New Contributor III

Hi Tanu,

Thanks so much for the clarification. We do have a custom printing services which uses our own templates, and also using logo at user's choice. We want to adopt vector tiles and be able to support this custom printing service with vector tiles. I have 2 questions:

1) Is it possible to publish our custom printing service from ArcMap 10.6.1 to ArcGIS Server 10.6.1, and still be able to support vector tile printing? (we tried but could not do it with 10.6)

2) If we have to publish from ArcGIS Pro, is it possible to publish this custom printing service from ArcGIS Pro 2.2 to ArcGIS Server directly? We tried to publish this service from ArcGIS Pro 2.1, but we could not publish to ArcGIS Server directly. 

Due to data governance issue, we could not go with ArcGIS Online at this moment. If needed, we could set up ArcGIS Portal on premise. If we could not publish this custom printing service to ArcGIS server directly, then we probably have to set up portal. 

Please advice what is be our best option. 

Thanks so much!

0 Kudos
TanuHoque
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Xuejin,

1) Is it possible to publish our custom printing service from ArcMap 10.6.1 to ArcGIS Server 10.6.1, and still be able to support vector tile printing? (we tried but could not do it with 10.6)

Unfortunately the answer is no. Technically when you publish print services from ArcMap and ArcGIS Pro, they create printing services that are implemented completely two different ways. One is based on the technology that powers ArcMap; and the other one run on top of the most modern, robust technology that powers ArcGIS Pro.

Hence all the improvements and new layer type supports you will find with print services (published from Pro) are not available with print services (published from ArcMap).

2) If we have to publish from ArcGIS Pro, is it possible to publish this custom printing service from ArcGIS Pro 2.2 to ArcGIS Server directly? We tried to publish this service from ArcGIS Pro 2.1, but we could not publish to ArcGIS Server directly.

As of now, that is a no too

If needed, we could set up ArcGIS Portal on premise. If we could not publish this custom printing service to ArcGIS server directly, then we probably have to set up portal. 

Yes, publishing from ArcGIS Pro requires you to have an on-premises portal. That is just not for publishing a print service, it is same for all other services you want to publish from ArcGIS Pro.

Hope this helps.

Pls let me know if you have any question.

Tanu