Printing Service Fails when Layers are added to Map

Jump to solution
01-27-2020 01:02 PM
PaulMcCord
Occasional Contributor

I've created a print service with a custom print template. I'm relatively new to this, so the solution might be obvious but I can't seem to figure it out. 

I've added the print service URL to the web application I'm putting together using Web AppBuilder:

screen capture of print configuration

The print template that I've created was made in ArcMap and looks like the following:

print template created in ArcMap

I had no issues publishing this as a printing service to Server. 

When I use the Print widget with no layers on the map (just the basemap), I'm able to successfully run my custom printing service:

successful execution of print widget

However, the problem arises when I add a layer to the map. In the below image, I've added a layer using the Add Data widget:

layer added to map viewer

But when I try to Print using my custom template, I get the error: Error, try again. When I hover over the exclamation point, the message I get is esriJobFailed:

esriJobFailed

Is there something that I missed when setting up the Printing Service itself? Any documentation to get me going in the right direction would be appreciated.

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TanuHoque
Esri Regular Contributor

can you pls check whether you server, that is running your print service, has access to the map/feature service you added in your webmap?

A quick way to do is:

- log on to the server that is running your print service as the 'ArcGIS SOC Account user'

- open a browser

- try to access the map/feature service using their urls

Also, I'd recommend to switch your print service's Message Level to Error/Warning, so that you can get informative error message instead of some very generic error message.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
DavidPike
MVP Frequent Contributor

Hi Paul,

When testing I've found it handy to have 'info' level messaging enabled (done at the publishing stage'.

Also ensure it is 'synchronous'.

The document below has been very handy, although you seem to be a stage beyond anything it could help you with.

Publish an additional print service with custom layouts from ArcMap—Documentation (10.7) | ArcGIS En... 

Also for legend issues

How To: Configure legend properties for custom print templates from Portal for ArcGIS 

TanuHoque
Esri Regular Contributor

can you pls check whether you server, that is running your print service, has access to the map/feature service you added in your webmap?

A quick way to do is:

- log on to the server that is running your print service as the 'ArcGIS SOC Account user'

- open a browser

- try to access the map/feature service using their urls

Also, I'd recommend to switch your print service's Message Level to Error/Warning, so that you can get informative error message instead of some very generic error message.

PaulMcCord
Occasional Contributor

Thank you Tanu. You were correct, my printing service did not have access to the map services that I was adding to the map. 

I embedded the credentials into the print service, and this took care of the issue. This documentation was very helpful for embedding the credentials: Print maps that contain secured services—Documentation (10.7) | ArcGIS Enterprise .

Thanks again for your help!

Paul

0 Kudos