I am attempting to try to use my own template with the print widget. I don't like how the legend works in the default version and it doesn't appear to be configurable. I followed the directions and created a new service and I am trying it out in an app that was built with the out of the box solution. (I have one that uses with the developers solution for custom apps as well). Anyways, everytime I try to run the widget it says Error. Try again. When I tried to check the configuration, the service url box has a warning that says the url is not available. The url I am using is <domain>/arcgis/rest/services/ExportWebMap/GPServer/Export%20Web%20Map which appears to be the correct service url to be put in that box. I saw some other threads that had similar but different issues getting this to work properly. I thought I'd also check my logs and found this entry: Instance of the service 'ExportWebMap.GPServer' crashed. Please see if an error report was generated in 'C:\arcgisserver\logs\GIS-SERVER.CACDOMAIN.LOCAL\errorreports'. To send an error report to Esri, compose an e-mail to ArcGISErrorReport@esri.com and attach the error report file.
I will do as suggested and send that email.
My print services are not secured. The web app is using the AGOL type url and my service uses my domain, if that is what you are asking. Both are not secured.
So you are saying that your web app is hosted on AGOL and your print service is on your own ArcGIS Server? Is you print service published where it is accessible outside your network?
Yes the print server is accessible outside my network. All of my services should be actually and all are on my own server.
We managed to get this to work on a test app but there seems to be some difficulty using certain webmaps. Perhaps the more complex webmaps with multiple complex operational layers time out. I'm currently trying to use the service asynchronously but it just seems to be running in a loop and never actually creating the image or giving me an error message.
My parcel viewer has no issue printing when using a map service that has 85 layers with 15 groups and some sub groups in those groups along with and esri basemap and local imagery in a tiled layer and graphics in the map from a widgets query. I say all of this to say that it is not just the complexity, it must be something specific to your services you are attempting to print.
Can you provide links to other threads where users were having similar problems?
I am getting the same error in a webappbuilder app that is using my org's AGS services (mapservices, image services, and print service). I opened the app in Chrome and then accessed the developer tools and looked at the Network tab to get the Web_Map_as _JSON block that was being executed by the print service. I copied this block into the Execute Task for the print service and I hit Execute Task. When I did this it successfully created a png file in the appropriate AGS location. For the custom print service I was requesting a pdf to be generated but that failed. As such I'm not sure why a png file can be successfully created but not a pdf file.
I simply searched for the tag print widget and none of them were exactly the same issue that I had. I tried png and the other file types. Mine seems to be something about my map services, but I have no idea what might be causing the issue. I even had an inkling maybe it was annotation but the service that is creating the print properly has annotation, so I am still lost. I'll probably have to file a case with support so that they can see all of my settings.