Multiple installation of Web AppBuilder ( Developer Edition )

Jump to solution
11-09-2016 11:20 PM
ReginaldoPaderon
New Contributor III

I have installed WAB successfully in my PC.  I am not aware of the technology behind then, i.e. you need to run a batch file every time you start using WAB.  ( read this can be converted into a windows service )

Anyways, everything is okay.  I was able to create an WAB application and deployed in our web server successfully.

Now, my Boss wants the WAB service installed in one of our servers , either in our server with Portal or the server in ArcGIS for server.

I do not want to proceed lest it might mess up either of the servers.

Question is , Is it okay or even possible to have multiple installation of WAB Developer Edition ( question about appid crosses my mind ) ?

Appreciate any inputs.

Many thanks.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Reginaldo,

Just that, my Boss wants the WAB Developer Ed to be installed in another machine/server wherein the startup batch file can be always left running. 

So in that case it sounds like you need to install WAB as a Windows Service:

Run as a Windows service—Web AppBuilder for ArcGIS (Developer Edition) | ArcGIS for Developers 

View solution in original post

13 Replies
deleted-user-CQZbjNeBXm49
Occasional Contributor III

Hi Reginaldo,

Have you taken a look at Deploying your server via IIS using this instruction https://developers.arcgis.com/web-appbuilder/guide/xt-deploy-app.htm? with this you won't need the .bat file to run at all.....

Baba

ReginaldoPaderon
New Contributor III

Thanks Baba for your reply.

Actually, I have no issues in deploying my application in a webserver ( IIS ).   I have a couple of apps developed from my machine where the WAB was installed and deployed in our webserver ( another machine )  already up and running using that link you gave as my guide.

Just that, my Boss wants the WAB Developer Ed to be installed in another machine/server wherein the startup batch file can be always left running. 

I have doubts if it is possible without any complications with the new installation because of the appids attached to the initial installation.

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Reginaldo,

So in that case it sounds like you need to install WAB as a Windows Service:

Run as a Windows service—Web AppBuilder for ArcGIS (Developer Edition) | ArcGIS for Developers 

TimHayes1
Occasional Contributor III

Robert, sorry for a dumb question, but if I have the WAB DE installed locally on my PC. All I need to do is double click the WAB DE icon and I am good to go. I can create, massage, and bake my apps on my local PC before deploying them to my Server Machine. To deploy the app to my Server Machine, in WAB DE I download-zip and copy it over, then unzip in the inetpub folder and I am good to go. Easy-peasy.

What is the advantage of running the WAB DE as a Windows Service?

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Tim,

The only advantage is that you don't have to double click the startup.bat you just enter the URL in the browser or click the bookmark and you are good to go. 

RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Tim,

I use the WAB as a service for the current version of WAB (using the different port numbers) and that way I can launch the last version of WAB using the startup.bat and the default port numbers.

ReginaldoPaderon
New Contributor III

Thanks Robert.

I did read in the documentation about this but I never thought the advantage of having it as a windows service.

Actually, the main reason I asked is because I am going for vacation and since WAB was installed in my PC, WAB has to be up and running always.  Even if I keep it ON before leaving for vacation, sometimes all our PC are forcefully restarted remotely by our Sys Adm from some updates.  In this case, I have to provide them my password from them to start the batch file , which I dont like 🙂  .. That's why the idea of installing it in other machines came.

Now, since it is a windows service, they just have to make sure my PC is on, WAB is working fine for my colleagues to use.  No need for mulitple installation 🙂

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Reginaldo,

It sounds like you are having people use the url that go to your machine so that they can access a WAB app you built.

Something like: http://gislap183:3344/webappbuilder/apps/23/ If that is the case then you really need to change that. Once you have used WAB to build and configure your app you then need to deploy it to a web server:

Deploy your app—Web AppBuilder for ArcGIS (Developer Edition) | ArcGIS for Developers 

ReginaldoPaderon
New Contributor III

Robert,

Actually, not really to use the app that I have developed but to develop their own app using WAB.  Thats why I have to keep WAB service up and running during my vacation. I have registered and shared it to our Portal.

I have deployed all the apps I have done to our web server successfully.  And incidentally, I think 80% percent of the widgets I use are widgets that you have developed.  These are basic and essentials for a simple Web Mapping apps.  Even a none developer like me, I am basically a GIS guy, I came up with a very useful  Web Mapping app .  Thanks to you Robert 🙂

Have a nice day ..

0 Kudos