include layer via my own REST service and not from AGOL

02-25-2015 01:16 AM
TomGeo
by
Occasional Contributor III

Looking into the possibilities that come with the WAB I can't see the possibility to refer to one of my own services. Looks like people that have their data at AGOL are fine, but I can't upload certain data to AGOL since I am simple not allowed to give them out of house.

Hence, how is it possible to refer to web services delivered by our own ArcGIS Server?

I found this posting here (Do you have to use AGOL to use WAB? ) that might offer this, but the comments to the initial posting leave me a bit in doubt. Also, it is not satisfying to go via a hack to create standard functionality.

Bests Thomas

- We are living in the 21st century.
GIS moved on and nobody needs a format consisting out of at least three files! No, nobody needs shapefiles, not even for the sake of an exchange format. Folks, use GeoPackage to exchange data with other GIS!
0 Kudos
19 Replies
TobiasFimpel1

Thanks Larry, that makes sense and is enough info for me right now. It's a very neat application, btw.

0 Kudos
berniejconnors

Larry - I like your Print Plus widget for WAB.  I found it on GitHub.

0 Kudos
LarryStout

Bernie,

Thanks.  The version on GitHub is an old one that worked with one of the Beta versions.  I haven't taken the time to update it.

Here's a link to the latest viewer that uses the latest PrintPlus Widget: http://gis.hamiltoncounty.in.gov/mapviewer/index.html.

Larry

0 Kudos
PaulDavidson1

Larry:

I'm trying to duplicate a web app similar to yours where our data is hosted inside our firewalls but available to named AGOL users in our organization only.  Field users with iPads have to VPN inside the firewall to get at the data.

Maybe that's my issue.  I have added a number of map services to My Content via the REST endpoints, no problem. Our local intranet map servers are not using any security, just http://ourservername:6080/etc....

But you can only see those from inside the firewall.

Our ArcServers are running 10.1 SP1

(Funny, I can't find any Requirements page for Web AppBuilder)

I can make an AGOL webmap with the map layers no problem.

But when I start up a local registered copy of WAB from inside the firewall, the only layer that displays is the AGOL basemap.  The Layer list widget shows nothing.

Similarily if I create an AGOL webmap with one of our layers as the basemap, then I pull up nothing.

I've googled this and dug everywhere, I can't believe I'm the only with this issue but I've found basically nothing to help.  There is a post on Rebecca's blog that might have some info about turning ArcServer to https but it's not applicable to 10.1.

Any suggestions?  Do I need to turn on Oauth2 in AGOL?

Thanks for any help.  (I'm also installing the LocalLayer widget and see how that goes, except my WAB install doesn't match the folder structure given...)

0 Kudos
LarryStout

Paul,

My WebMap has map services from both public and non-public servers.  I wrote the validateWebMap.js module to test each server and each service and remove any services that are not reachable from the WebMap without any significant delay.  I've tested this on my iPhone with VPN on and VPN off and the results are consistent with what I intended (no VPN, no layers from the non-public server).  I'm not using any security to do this.

We do have one map service on our public server that is secured.  validateWebMap.js also removes secured layers, unless there is a specific query parameter (allowSecuredLayers=true).  I've also tested this and it works as expected.

Here are a couple of links for you:

Viewer App

Config Documentation

Updated Link (4-30-2015)

I call the preProcessor.js from index.html and preProcessor.js calls validateWebMap.js.  This architecture allows for other types of pre-processing in the future.

Let me know if and how well this works for you.  I've tested it for the sake of testing, but many times that kind of testing is not as good as a real production environment.

Larry

0 Kudos
PaulDavidson1

Thanks for the info Larry.

I could get the Config Documentation but not the Viewer App

0 Kudos
LarryStout

Sorry.  Not sure how that happened.  Try this one:

Viewer App

0 Kudos
PaulDavidson1

Thanks Larry

That worked

I'll try digesting this info and go from there.

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

FC Basson,

Can you point out where this default.js file is?

0 Kudos
FC_Basson
MVP Regular Contributor

Sorry Robert, I got confused with the WAB templates.

0 Kudos