I am having trouble with map service layers showing up in the legend of my print jobs

Jump to solution
07-02-2015 03:17 PM
ChrisJones-Roberts
New Contributor III

I am using my own print service which is pushing out custom layouts. If I have a feature service displaying on the map I will show up in the printed legend. If it is a Web Service is will not show up in the printed legend. Both Map Services and Feature services show up in the legend widget. In Arcgis portal I have the layers set to show in the legend. I am using Web Appbuilder (Developer) 1.1  Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks

Chris

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ChrisJones-Roberts
New Contributor III

I figured it out. When a layer is presented as a tiled map service from a cache it does not print to the legend but If i set the map service to draw dynamically from the data then it prints properly in the legend. My understanding is that it should work from a tile cache also. Do you think I should report this as a bug?

View solution in original post

16 Replies
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Chris,

I have not seen this.

If it is a Web Service is will not show up in the printed legend.

What do you mean by web service?

0 Kudos
ChrisJones-Roberts
New Contributor III

Robert,

I meant to say Map service instead of web service. By map service I mean a Tiled or Dynamic Map Service as opposed to a Feature Service. I attached an image as an example. The left side shows the pdf that is the result of my print service. The conservancy owned is a feature service. On the right I am showing the legend that shows in Web app builder. The Land Capability layer is a Map service from my server. I just noticed that my conservancy owned layer (Feature Service) is not showing the symbol in the web app builder legend which i guess is a different problem. Also I added a Map service from a different server outside of my organization and the layers printed as they should in the pdf. This leads me to think that there is some setting I have wrong on my print service but I have looked over the settings and I am not sure what it would be.

0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Could this be a proxy issue?

0 Kudos
ChrisJones-Roberts
New Contributor III

Michael,

I setup my Proxy according to Roberts guide and this issue is the same in the Web app builder environment and in a deployed app. My Proxy.config file includes the correct path to my server. Do you have any suggestions that I could test?

0 Kudos
ChrisJones-Roberts
New Contributor III

Sorry I think there is something wrong with my Map service not my print service.

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Chris,

Are the Land Capability layer and the Conservancy Owned layers coming from the same server? I just saw a post where some are saying that only layers from the first server are being included in the print legend. Either way this is a tech support issue (as it is likely a bug).

0 Kudos
ChrisJones-Roberts
New Contributor III

Robert,

They are from the same physical server but they are from different services.

0 Kudos
ChrisJones-Roberts
New Contributor III

I figured it out. When a layer is presented as a tiled map service from a cache it does not print to the legend but If i set the map service to draw dynamically from the data then it prints properly in the legend. My understanding is that it should work from a tile cache also. Do you think I should report this as a bug?

MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

First off, do you need the layer to be cached?  In a web-adf application built in ArcGIS Server (AGS) v10.0, I needed cached layers for the web app to have decent performance.  When my organization migrated the web app to javascript/HTML5 with AGS v10.2, the dynamic mapservices were much faster than in AGS v10.0, so the cached layers were not needed.  Might this be the case with your setup?

What version of AGS do you have?

0 Kudos