How to prevent deployed app from having ArcGIS Online Sign In popup?

07-30-2015 02:23 PM
MelanieHammond1
New Contributor III

I've seen several threads but it doesn't seem like anyone has come up with a good solution. My apologies if it is out there and I simply missed it.

I'm sure I'm like many users who created a map, published to server, shared to ArcGIS Online, but only shared internally and not PUBLIC. When I made my Web Map in AGOL I did the same thing. I shared it internally with some groups but did not share publically. I did the exact same thing with the app that I created in AGOL for use in WAB (what gives me the App ID).

Once I built my app in Web AppBuilder Dev edition I deployed to my Web Server. Site opens fine but asks for AGOL sign in. How do I configure this so that it does not throw that dialog and allows viewing?

I've tried following all of the proxy docs and the threads I have found and edited the proxy as well as the config in my app. Still no luck. Why is this so difficult? Why is it not on the Esri site somewhere?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
21 Replies
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

If your services in ​AGOL are not public, I'm not sure that you can get away from the AGOL login (but I haven't tried a AGOL token or proxy), but if you have services from ArcGIS Server, a pricy should work, if you have the app hosted on your local web server.  The application you created on AGOL to get the AppID to register WAB should not be causing any issues.

i would  check out Summary of ArcGIS Server SSL Issues​ to maybe get some ideas about dealing with SSL/secure service issues. Also, if you haven't seen it already Web AppBuilder Developer Edition - Customization Resource List​  which also includes a link to  Using the Web AppBuilder​ which is a very detailed document on many WAB issues.

MelanieHammond1
New Contributor III

Not sure if I am following. The only way to add a map to Web AppBuilder is from an AGOL web map. So my app contains that map which is not public. Nor is the app that I created in order to get the app ID to even start Web AppBuilder. Just wanting to know if that being the case means I will always get the popup? Surely Esri would not design things that way.

I'll continue digging through the documentation to see if I can find an answer. So far none of the proxy things I have tried have worked.

0 Kudos
TimWitt2
MVP Alum

Melanie,

the webapp builder can only be used with an AGOL map. Which means to prevent the pop-up is making the AGOL map and its layers public.

Tim

MelanieHammond1
New Contributor III

Wow. That seems insane to me. Means I can't create any apps for my internal users. I'm going to reach out to Esri.

0 Kudos
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

There are ways to use your own local services, and not use a AGOL map, look at ​LocalLayerWidget and AccessifizrWidget    and the other links I listed above.

WAB does require access to a basemap from AGOL, (which many times will be public anyway), but if you have your own local services with ArcGIS Server, you can have a bit more flexibily with internal access, especially if you don't upload your developer edition WAB back to AGOL, and instead host it on your own network (e.g., with IIS)

Once it is strictly on AGOL, with non public services, I think you are restricted to the "named-user" restrictions, and therefore it's probably going to ask for login.  However, if you find a workaround from esri, please post a summary.  Thanks.

0 Kudos
JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor

I'd suggest you just make your webmap and web app public, (share with everyone).  If your services are internal, that means that external users won't be able to reach your services, so it won't matter if they open your webmap or web app.  They won't be able to see your content.  By making your webmap and web apps public, your internal users will be able to open them without logging in and will still be able to see your services as they're in your internal network.

MelanieHammond1
New Contributor III

I submitted a ticket to Esri and was told that basically a map on AGOL must be shared publically to prevent the AGOL sign in from popping up. Sure hope they are planning on allowing a map from Server soon or else the whole WAB becomes fairly useless to us. I'll update if I hear something different.

And Jonathon I like your suggestion but we have some services that will need to be public and others that don't. I will think on that some more and see what we might do with that approach. We actually have that in play now, but wanted to move away from that. I hate the thought of multiple maps/apps published and made public and users opening but seeing no data. Just not a very clean approach.

0 Kudos
C_EHoward
Occasional Contributor III

send me a PM and I will forward you a workflow I have that will help you do this. I had the same issue and had to push Esri and the several analysts assigned to me to see this through.

NartTamash
New Contributor III

Could you please publish that workflow in here, or share it with me as well?

I am having a similar problem, the only difference is I am using Portal (10.3.1) and WAB 1.2 Dev Edition. I have a public app that works on top of a public map with many public services, however there are some layers that are restricted to certain named users/groups. When an anonymous users accesses the app he gets a 'Please sign in to continue' prompt. If you cancel, the map loads fine without the restricted layers (and if you ok it, it'll have you log in, obviously). I want to get rid of the prompt altogether and just load the app/map without the restricted layers.

Does your workflow apply?