How to aggregate multiple layers into themes

Jump to solution
09-06-2016 05:22 PM
StephenLead
Regular Contributor III

County of Simcoe have a nice interactive map based on ArcGIS Web AppBuilder, at https://maps.simcoe.ca/Public/

This application contains functionality I haven't seen before in a WAB map - it aggregates layers into "themes", allowing the user to change the contents of the map with a single click:

enter image description here

Is this function provided by an existing WAB widget, or is this something that Simcoe have written from scratch?

(Note that the "themes" in this case don't refer to styling of the application, but to grouping similar layers together. Eg viewing the Local Real Estate "theme" changes the map's layers to only show real estate).

I can think of a few different ways to approach this, but I don't want to waste time if an existing widget already handles it.

(I asked this question elsewhere within Geonet but I'm trying again in the main WAB section as I didn't get any responses)

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
StephenLead
Regular Contributor III

Simcoe confirmed via Twitter that they wrote custom code to handle this.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
14 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Stephen, you should send them a comment in the contact us link, there is an option for them to return a response to you if you provide your email address

0 Kudos
StephenLead
Regular Contributor III

Hi Dan,

Yep, I tried that but haven't heard back yet.

Cheers,

Steve

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

twitter? Simcoe County GIS (@simcoecountygis) on Twitter ... I could drive down

StephenLead
Regular Contributor III

Tell em I'll buy them a coffee if they let me know the secret. I'll throw in enough for you, too

StephenLead
Regular Contributor III

Simcoe confirmed via Twitter that they wrote custom code to handle this.

0 Kudos
Drew
by
Occasional Contributor III

Hello Stephen,

I just stumbled onto this post. I can answer any questions you may have about our application.

Also.. Usually I reply back to all feedback but I do not recall any from you ? When did you send it?

First lets define.

Map Theme = The themes you can use within the application
App Theme = A skin that the WAB allows you to create to modify the look and feel of the application

All the widgets (except the print) on the website are custom and designed to fit our needs. The "Map Themes" are also custom and the logic to position them in the app is built into our "App Theme".. Basically our application has logic to determine what is a  "Map Theme" vs a Tool vs the Layer (TOC) and we position those into different panels. In short we just use the name of the widget..  If the widget starts with "Theme-XXXXXXXX" we add it to the Theme Panel etc...

Does that make sense?

Drew

County of Simcoe - GIS Analyst

StephenLead
Regular Contributor III

Many thanks Andrew,

I sent my enquiry via the Contact Us email link at https://gisportal.simcoe.ca so it may have gone to a general pool. It's great to have your attention!

Can you give me a rough ballpark as to how long it took you to write the app? Are we taking days, weeks or months?

Cheers,

Steve

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

hey! what about the coffees you promised first

0 Kudos
StephenLead
Regular Contributor III

Milk? Sugar?

0 Kudos