How to add Bing maps to Basemap Gallery widget?

09-10-2014 03:32 PM
AdamInglis
Occasional Contributor II

I'm able to get Bing maps to show up in Flex versions of my webmaps,  and I can use Bing as a base map in Web AppBuilder apps, but I haven't figured out anyway to add the Bing map collection to the basemap gallery wideget.   Any suggestions?

Cheers,

Adam

Tags (2)
14 Replies
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

I'm assuming you are wanting to add the bing basemaps to your ArcGIS Online (AGOL) Basemap gallery? Typically for this I would create an ArcGIS Online map and add the Bing layer as the base map, then save the map to my custom basemap gallery group.  I went to test this last night to give more details, but I'm wondering if there is currently an issue with ArcGIS Online and Bing map services.  Like you, I'm able to access thru Desktop with my Bing key.  I also have the Bing key entered in my AGOL enterprise account, but following the steps to add the Bing base doesn't give any error, but the basemap is blank.

I tested that it was still available thru desktop (to verify my Bing Key was still valid) so I'm now thinking it is a current issue with just AGOL.    ??

As to how to reference it directly in code, I do not know how to do that (but would like to know if it's possible).

0 Kudos
AdamInglis

Thanks for the reply Rebecca.  I had already created a basemap group for AGOL so they show up in my AGOL Basemap Gallery, and in my Flex application Basemap Gallery, however, they do not show up in my WAB applications that use the exact same webmaps as the Flex version.

I used ArcGIS Viewer for Flex to build my Flex applications and I had to enter my Bing key in the settings in order for the Bing maps to show up in my Flex apps.  I'm looking for the settings in WAB where I could add my Bing key and haven't found it yet.

RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

So, first placed I would have thought it  was on the "attributes" tab......maybe hacked as an added proxy rule?  Just guessing.

Have you tried the "click to add a new basemap" in the properties for the Basemap Gallery widget?

If you can figure out the item ID from AGOL you would expect it to see the key you have entered there.  If not, this seems this is an overlooked feature "we" should ask for.  Enter it on the Esri Arcgis Ideas | Ideas Submission Portal page, and I'll vote for it.

But my guess is it may need to be a custom/modified widget.  Suggestions, since this is related to AGOL too, it might help to move this discussion to the ArcGIS Online or maybe Robert Scheitlin, GISP‌      's   Web AppBuilder Custom Widgets  page.  That may help it get more views from others doing the same sort of thing.  And Robert plans to work on custom JS widgets as he did for Flex.  Good location to join/follow.

Edit: forgot to add the image.

0 Kudos
AdamInglis

The ExtenChooser.js in C:\arcgis-web-appbuilder-1.0beta2\client\stemapp\jimu.js\dijit has a spot that looks like you could enter the Bing key:

initExtent: null,

//bingMapsKey: String

//  required if working with Microsoft Bing Maps

bingMapsKey: ' ',

I just haven't been successful using it myself.

0 Kudos
CoyPotts1
Occasional Contributor III

I have been unable to accomplish this as well.  I wanted to bump this thread to see if we could get a current answer. 

I am simply trying to add the Bing maps basemaps to the basemap widget within my Web App Builder custom application. I have the Bing key entered into our AGOL Organization page, and have no problems accessing the map from Desktop. 

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus
CoyPotts1
Occasional Contributor III

Robert, thank you for sharing the link.  That is a lot of work to accomplish a very simple task, but at least it seems pretty straight forward.  Thanks again!

0 Kudos
VeronicaAnderson2
New Contributor III

Does this solve your issue of not being able to get Bing as a basemap option in the WebApp Builder? It doesn't look like that has been addressed with this link. I am having the same issue. I can force WAB to recognize the Bing basemap if I load it into the map I'm using to run the app but I also want to add the other basemaps I have in my basemap gallery as options as well.

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Veronica,

The article does describe how to add Bing map to your orgs basemaps. See step 11 specifically.