How does Web AppBuilder work?

11-16-2017 08:19 AM
WhitneyNewcomb
Occasional Contributor

I am familiar with how to install, connect to a portal, create, and edit a web app using the WAB. 

What I want to know, and what my colleagues want to know, is how does it work?

The scripts and the startup is installed and then connected to the portal. Changes are made to the script and appear in the web app and vice-versa. 

This program is installed and set up in a way that I've never seen before and I wanna know the details!

0 Kudos
4 Replies
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Whitney,

Are you asking about WAB Developer edition or an actual WAB deployed app on a web server?

WhitneyNewcomb
Occasional Contributor

Hi Robert,

I am using the Developer's edition.

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Whitney,

As Rebecca explained WAB Dev uses NodeJS. NodeJS has a built in web server and read write access to the file system using JS. I am not sure what more detail you are looking for, I can go into more detail if required.

RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

I think that is a rather broad question, and may be better suited as a discussion. 

I'm sure the nitty-gritty are proprietary, and others could answer this better than I can, but as I've read on one of rscheitlin‌ posts, it is setup in a stem format (Robert would definately be able to state is better).  It uses Node and JavaScript, and the connection to the "portal", from how I interpret it, is to some degree for licensing authorization.  It also users the "map" and basemap, but since this can also come from local services and be semi overwritten in the developer edition code, that is, in my opinion, not the only reason for the connection to a "portal".  my opinion only.