Dojo question: create directory on web server

Jump to solution
07-15-2015 12:47 PM
TaN
by
New Contributor II

I'm starting to learn Dojo using the online documentation. I downloaded Apache using XAMPP for Windows. How do I create a directory in my web server? (as per instructions found at the beginning of this tutorial: Hello, World! — The Dojo Toolkit - Reference Guide)

Thank you for your help!

TA

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

TA,

You should refer to the XAMPP FAQ

XAMPP FAQs for Windows

A new subdirectory for your web? Just make a new directory (e.g. "new") inside the directory "\xampp\htdocs" (best without whitespaces and only ASCII), create a test file in this directory and access it with "http://localhost/new/test.php".

View solution in original post

8 Replies
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

TA,

You should refer to the XAMPP FAQ

XAMPP FAQs for Windows

A new subdirectory for your web? Just make a new directory (e.g. "new") inside the directory "\xampp\htdocs" (best without whitespaces and only ASCII), create a test file in this directory and access it with "http://localhost/new/test.php".

TaN
by
New Contributor II

Hi Robert!

I read through the FAQs and didn't find the answer. But more to the point, do you mean to say that "create directory on the web server" simply means to create a new folder in "\xampp\htdocs"? like so?

In the book, Mastering Dojo, the authors say that downloading Dojo onto a web server is best.

When I download and unpack Dojo, do I simply unpack Dojo in " \dojoroot", a new folder (that I will create in ""\xampp\htdocs")?

Screenshot 2015-07-15 16.58.57.png

Screenshot 2015-07-15 16.59.03.png

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

TA,

Yes that is correct "create directory on the web server" is simply creating a folder.

When I download and unpack Dojo, do I simply unpack Dojo in " \dojoroot", a new folder (that I will create in ""\xampp\htdocs")

Correct.

TaN
by
New Contributor II

Hi Robert!

Thank you! Creating dojoroot in htdocs worked!

As for the tutorial, I'm getting an error when I try to load HelloWorldTutorial.php:

<br />

<b>Notice</b>: Undefined index: name in <b>C:\xampp\htdocs\HelloWorldTutorial\HelloWorldResponsePOST.php</b> on line <b>11</b><br />

Hello , welcome to the world of Dojo!

Do you know why 'name' is undefined? I thought it had been defined in the form tag.

Thank you for your help!

TA

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

TA,

Sorry I am not a php guy and I use IIS mainly for my web server and not Apache.

0 Kudos
TaN
by
New Contributor II

Hi Robert,

No apology necessary; thank you for all your help thus far!

If you have a minute, I was hoping to get your advice on learning Dojo. My mind has been running in circles for the last 6 days, trying to figure out what I need to know to learn Dijit, and I've been bogged down by resources pointing me in all different directions.

Would you recommend a place to start for someone who has limited Javascript experience? Some forums say that the dojotoolkit.org tutorials are suitable, but I'm often not familiar with the technical jargon (ie: "async", "mixin").

Thank you!

TA

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

TA,

If you focus of learning is GIS and using the JS API then I would just use the JS API Samples and the getting started section of the JS API web page:

Build your first application | Guide | ArcGIS API for JavaScript

TaN
by
New Contributor II

Thank you for the link, Robert! You bring up a good point; I need to clarify what my focus is...hmm

0 Kudos