Do you have to use AGOL to use WAB?

08-13-2014 07:52 AM
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

All,

I thought I would share some info on Web App Builder Beta 2.

Note this no longer applies to current releases of WAB.

I have been digging into the MapManager.js and have found that esri must be listening to all the complaints from users about being forced to us a WebMapID from AGOL and there is code in there to just use basemap and operational layers (like good old ArcGIS Viewer for Flex) in the config.json. They just have not exposed the ability to configure this in the WAB UI.

So in the config.json after going thorough the paces of choosing a WebMap from the ones available on AGOL your config.json will look like this for the map object.

"map": {
    "3D": false,
    "2D": true,
    "position": {
      "left": 0,
      "top": 40,
      "right": 0,
      "bottom": 0
    },
    "itemId": "6e03e8c26aad4b9c92a87c1063ddb0e3",
    "mapOptions": {
      "extent": {
        "xmin": -15000000,
        "ymin": 2700000,
        "xmax": -6200000,
        "ymax": 6500000,
        "spatialReference": {
          "wkid": 102100
        }
      }
    },
    "id": "map",
    "portalUrl": "http://YourOrg.maps.arcgis.com/"
  },

all you have to do is change it to something like this:

"map": {
    "3D": false,
    "2D": true,
    "position": {
      "left": 0,
      "top": 40,
      "right": 0,
      "bottom": 0
    },
    "basemaps": [{
      "label": "base map1",
      "url": "http://server.arcgisonline.com/ArcGIS/rest/services/ESRI_StreetMap_World_2D/MapServer",
      "type": "tiled"
    }],
    "operationallayers": [{
      "label": "Earthquakes",
      "url": "http://sampleserver3.arcgisonline.com/ArcGIS/rest/services/Earthquakes/EarthquakesFromLastSevenDays/...",
      "type": "feature"
    }],
    "mapOptions": {
      "extent": {
        "xmin": -15000000,
        "ymin": 2700000,
        "xmax": -6200000,
        "ymax": 6500000,
        "spatialReference": {
          "wkid": 102100
        }
      }
    },
    "id": "map",
    "portalUrl": "http://Calhoun.maps.arcgis.com/"
  },

Notice that I have just replaced the itemId with a basemaps and operationallayers objects.

I think this is great news

Message was edited by: Robert Scheitlin, GISP

48 Replies
NathanielClement1
New Contributor II

Is this true for beta 3? Im trying to add my services manually from the rest point just like in the above examples but in WAB Beta 3 it doesn't work when I load the app. Is there something else that must be done to accomplish this?

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Nathaniel,

Beta 3 is where they broke this ability.

NathanielClement1
New Contributor II

Thanks Robert...and that is very unfortunate. We were using WAB as a test case for a client and research on our own behalf. We're trying to combine the map viewer aspect of it with some Microsoft SQL reporting forms and web based authentication. It's working well, but not when I try to upgrade to Beta 3. Thanks for the info though.

0 Kudos
BrianO_keefe
Occasional Contributor III

This is my biggest complaint about all of what ESRI is trying to do. They don't seem to be listening very carefully to their paying customers sometimes and requiring us to utilize an online service from them to access our own data just seems ridiculous. And quite overbearing... ugh!

KeisukeNozaki
Occasional Contributor II

I was very disappointed as well and have started using other configurable application.

Please let me know if you are interested.

I am not sure if I could post here since it is not created by esri.

BrianO_keefe

I have followed you. If you follow me then we can message each other. Feel free. I am more than interested.

0 Kudos
LarryStout

There is a configurable JavaScript Viewer here: https://github.com/cmv/cmv-app

It has lots of contributors and is seeing quite a bit of activity.

Larry

StephenLead
Regular Contributor III

Thanks Robert for the great detective work.

As of WAB 1.0 in January 2015, I believe you will need to use ArcGIS Online or Portal for ArcGIS in order to use the WAB.

The first thing you see when firing up the WAB is a prompt for your portal URL, then the appId of an application you've created in AGOL/Portal. This information is stored in the signininfo.json file.

So it appears that:

(a) you'll still need to have an account for AGOL/Portal for ArcGIS to use the Web App Builder but

(b) Robert's workaround may allow you to use data which is not served via AGOL/Portal.

There is also a handy widget at cmndrbensisko/LocalLayerWidget · GitHub  which allows you to use datasets directly from ArcGIS Server via the WAB user interface, without first loading the data in AGOL/Portal.

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Stephen,

The ability to use your own ArcGIS Server services was available in Beta 2 but was broke in Beta 3 and still does not work in WAB 1.0 (FYI)

0 Kudos
StephenLead
Regular Contributor III

cool, thanks. I used it for a while then missed a few beta versions. I'm back on it at version 1.0 (it looks pretty good IMHO!)

0 Kudos