Displaying Nested Related Records

05-13-2016 07:27 AM
DannyHatcher
Esri Contributor

I have a feature class with nested related records like so: FeatureClass-->Table1-->Table2.  If I click on a feature and select 'show related records' I'll get an attribute table tab with results from Table1.  If I then select a record from that Table 1 tab and try to show related records the option is always disabled (greyed out).  If I open attributes for Table1 via the layer list however this will work correctly for the same record (ie. I can select that record in the tab and then choose 'show related records' and get a tab for Table2 with any records related to the selected item in Table1).

This seems to definitely be a bug.  Any ideas on how to get around this or get it fixed?

15 Replies
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Danny,

I would say that it is a currently unsupported feature. Have you logged this with tech support?

DannyHatcher
Esri Contributor

Robert,

No, I'm not sure how to do that.

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Danny,

Sorry, I assumed an esri employee would know that. All you need to do is call 1-888-377-4575 and choose the technical support option.

0 Kudos
DannyHatcher
Esri Contributor

Ouch.  No I rarely have the need to contact support directly.  I emailed support.  Hopefully this will be something they are willing to work on.  Better support for related workflows would be really nice.

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Danny,

I did not mean my reply to be taken in a negative way (sometimes non-verbal communication can be tricky in the way it is received).

0 Kudos
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

As Robert Scheitlin, GISP  mentioned, currently only relationshipclasses for the first level are support in WAB. You can access them through REST, but the widgets in WAB wont show them.

We had a simular case and had to reduce the relationshipclasses to a single level (some attributes were added to the featureclass and the rest in the 1:M related table).

There are some other restrictions when consulting related features. From a selection of the table you wont be able to show the related features or filter features based on a selection from the related table. To mimic this functionality we tested converting the table to featureclass (using the label points of the related polygons). Far from optimal, but could be an option in some cases.

TimMinter
Occasional Contributor III

It appears to me that the Esri web world is still pretty flat from a schema perspective.  I'm hopeful that with the build-out of ArcGIS API for JavaScript 4.0, Esri's web tools will be able to make full use of its native data structure - the geodatabase.

Until then, I'm having to do the same thing you are - flatten out our data via a crazed Rube Goldberg ETL process in order to enable staff who are authorities for information to keep their info up to date and let other staff make use of that info.

happy Friday,

tim

0 Kudos
JackZHANG
Occasional Contributor II

hi Xander, so just wondering if ESRI has plan in next 12 months to enhance ArcGIS Online or WAB so it can show nested relationship. thanks.

0 Kudos
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

That is a goog question. Unfortunately, I do not know if this being considered. I will cc dlaw-esristaff  who might be able to provide you with an answer.

0 Kudos