Deploy WAB application to Amazon Cloud - map not loading - do I need Portal in the Cloud?

12-14-2015 12:18 PM
MegPeterson
New Contributor III

Hi all -

Can someone help with the steps of deployment to an AWS Cloud environment? I'm following the steps I used to do when deploying a Flex site, but feel I'm missing something glaring and obvious re: web maps since my application seems to load briefly but blanks out on the map.

Here are the steps I've taken:

1. Using Portal on a local machine I've created a web map the references services in the Cloud. This web map is shared with everyone. Our only use of Portal is to create web maps at this point.

2. Added this map to WAB DE, customized the site, and downloaded and deployed the application. It runs fine locally.

3. Configured the proxy file and copied the application to our AWS Cloud inetpub/wwwroot directory.

4. And then..., watched the loading screen fire up and then blank out with no map.

My big question is do I need to install Portal to the AWS Cloud to make the web map available, or is it somehow embedded in the WAB application? I don't understand what's happening under the hood.

Any insight? Many thanks, Meg

0 Kudos
7 Replies
JunshanLiu
Occasional Contributor III

Is your portal addressable when you load your AWS deployed app? The WAB app will access portal when app is loading.

Could you post the console log of your app?

0 Kudos
MegPeterson
New Contributor III

Hi Junshan -

I'm not sure how to make the webmap reference in the WAB application on AWS "addressable" to the general public outside our organization since our Portal is installed locally. Is that possible to do? This is unchartered territory for me.

I can't post the console log because I'm on our network so the application loads correctly!

Here's the link: ArcGIS Web Application I'm assuming you'll see a green loading screen and the poof, nothing.

Thanks so much for the response. I really appreciate the insight.

0 Kudos
JunshanLiu

Hi Meg,

From the console log error, I think the reason is that your portal is not accessible for the public user. I think you need to consult your IT administrator to check whether you can make your portal public accessible.

MegPeterson
New Contributor III

Thanks, Junshan. That's what I was fearing. Knowing I can not make our locally installed Portal publically available, it sounds like I need to install it on our Amazon public server and publish the web maps there.

That said, would it be possible to connect my locally installed WAB Dev. Edition to the Amazon Portal as well as to the one that is behind our firewall? Basically have two machines being referenced by WAB dev edition in the same way that ArcGIS.com is available along with the local Portal install?

0 Kudos
ChadKopplin

From taking the ArcGIS 4: Sharing Content on the Web class, portal is like AGOL, but it is used internal, where AGOL can be used to open your services on the web.  You need to set up a web adaptor that is secure, and pass the following list of ports to your IT group to insure that they are open the web.

Firewall ports needed to connect to SDE 10.2 +

JunshanLiu

The builder itself can connect to more than one portal, but only one can be used at the same time.

For WAB app, it can connect to only one portal.

So, for your case, I think you can connect to both private portal and public portal in builder. If you want to create a public faced app, you can connect the public portal using builder.

MegPeterson
New Contributor III

Thanks Junshan - helpful info!

0 Kudos