Custom Widget Deployment with ArcGIS Online

Jump to solution
11-09-2020 02:46 PM
James_Armstrong
Occasional Contributor

Hello.  I hope all is well to whomever is reveiwing this post.  First off, I realize that the following question may very well be one of those face palm moments for me.  I tend to have them more often than not, so I'm ready.  I work with a few clients and now a couple have AGO instead of Portal

The issue is custom widget deployment.    I have been working with WAB (embedded) with a Portal Setup.  No worries here as  the custom widget shows up in the WAB interface.  Easy Peezy!    Using custom widgets for an ArcGIS online setup for me at the moment is like hitting a major league curve.  I have downloaded the WAB-DEV edition and successfully installed it, At least according to the documentation and videos I have watched.  I understand how to pull in a custom code (not yet ready to write my own).  

Ok,  I get that as part of the setup, there is a requirement of registering the instance with the client with whom I am working. (BTW, can there be multiple instance of WAB-DEV on my laptop- one for each client?).   The main question I have is when ready to Deploy, am I correct in thinking that the application (with the custom widget) can be on any web facing server?, perferably the client's own webserver.  This way the web app is on a local webserver but it is still access the arcgis online organizational account for data.

Sorry if the above sounds confusing.  If any one can confirm I am on the right side of the road, or if not, maybe help me get on track.  

thanks,  Stay well and Healthy.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
James_Armstrong
Occasional Contributor

I got the web appbuilder to properly install and work.  The Issue 'seemed' to be in the wifi setting.  I found a post that indicated if the wifi (or internet connection) was set to Public, there would be some Certification inconsistencies.  The quick fix for me was to switch from a Public setting to a Private setting.  While this worked,  I make sure any internet connection that I set to Private is somewhat trustworthy.  In other words, no coffee shops, etc.

James

View solution in original post

4 Replies
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

James,

BTW, can there be multiple instance of WAB-DEV on my laptop- one for each client?

I have not personally tried but based on my knowledge it should be possible. I personally have WAB versions going back to 1.0 on my development Laptop. That way I can test any old version when answering people questions. Because each WAB instance will have it's own siginininfo.json you should be able to have as many same versions as you want each registered with a separate AGOL org.

Am I correct in thinking that the application (with the custom widget) can be on any web facing server?, preferably the client's own web server.

Correct.

0 Kudos
James_Armstrong
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Robert,  I will let you know if having multiple instances of WEB-DEV on laptop causes any issues.  I agre with you though and don't see why there should be any.

I installed and registered WAB-DEV this past Sunday. Everything looked good to go.  This afternoon when I returned to this project, I found I was unable to start WAB-DEV.  Clicking on the Startup.bat, the CMD window opens and is seems that the programs is running up as the browser (EDGE) opens and the URL is pointing the my machine_name:3344/webappbuilder.  As you can see by the attached screen shot, the process freezes.  I saw where going tom the server folder and killing the signinfo.json may clear it up but I don't see and such file..

Would you have any clues?  I have deleted everything and reinstalled, but still no go.    thanks for all you do!!

James

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

James,

Recommendations:

1. Do not put WAB in your my documents folder. 
  2. Make sure to not use folder names with spaces in them
  3. Try another browser like Chrome or FireFox.

Here is what my install location looks like:

C:\web-appbuilder-2.17\startup.bat

0 Kudos
James_Armstrong
Occasional Contributor

I got the web appbuilder to properly install and work.  The Issue 'seemed' to be in the wifi setting.  I found a post that indicated if the wifi (or internet connection) was set to Public, there would be some Certification inconsistencies.  The quick fix for me was to switch from a Public setting to a Private setting.  While this worked,  I make sure any internet connection that I set to Private is somewhat trustworthy.  In other words, no coffee shops, etc.

James