Custom Printing Service in AGO

02-16-2017 02:37 PM
KaraCaricato-Michalke
New Contributor II

I am trying to create a custom print service on arcgis server 10.3.1 using the export web map tool and the get layout templates info. After I run through all of the steps to create the gps service and try to use it in a web app, it doesn't work. I checked the rest endpoint and it's missing the "Export Web Map Task" under the Tasks section and it's missing the the Export%Web%Map%Task at the end of the URL. I have no idea what I'm doing wrong, any help would be appreciated. 

0 Kudos
18 Replies
MatthewAyer
New Contributor II

The print service has to have a task.  What does it say for tasks when you go to the GPserver rest end point?  In the example below the Task listed is 'AdvancedHighQualityPrinting'.  SO it is whatever that task is.   Also the make sure the type is: Synchronous and not asynchronous.

PrintSample/PrintingTools (GPServer)

Service Description:
  • AdvancedHighQualityPrintingExecution Type: esriExecutionTypeSynchronous

Result Map Server Name:

MaximumRecords: 1000

Child Resources:
0 Kudos
KaraCaricato-Michalke
New Contributor II

It says None for tasks. This is part I don't understand - I've done everything according the the esri configuration in their resources. Also, yes, I've published it as synchronous. Maybe it's time I just reach out to esri because I'm really not sure what else I am missing.

0 Kudos
DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Kara,

I suggest you try and re-publish your custom print GP service. If that doesn't work, please contact Esri Tech Support so they can investigate further.

Good luck,

KaraCaricato-Michalke
New Contributor II

I worked with ESRI on this and as usual the problem fix was simple. I was publishing with arcmap version 10.5 to a server version 10.3.1 and since it is not backwards compatible, it would not work. After downgrading my arcmap to 10.3.1, I was able to publish the print service with the export web map task; however, the print service is still not fully functional as the only option available is "Map_Only" even though my folder containing all of the templates is registered successfully in the data store. 

RoryMcPherson__Stantec_
New Contributor II

Yes I'm having issues with this as well. When clicking on the print widget in web appbuilder I am able to successfully connect to and select one of my custom print templates (mxds) from my registered folder, however I'm getting an "Error, try again" message a bit after clicking print.

When I hover my mouse over the red exclamation warning I see the text "Error executing tool. Export Web Map". I'm sure I've got the correct url plugged in though - as also mentioned in a comment above.

I've done everything in the documentation exactly as described (Tutorial: Publishing additional services for printing—Documentation | ArcGIS Enterprise), so I'm not sure why I'm getting this error.

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Rory,

If you have a large amount of graphics in your map then the print url parameters may exceed the GET character limit and thus you need to use POST. In this scenario you need to use a Proxy so the POST method is used. If you are using an AGOL hosted WAB app I am not real sure how this is done but in WAB Dev locally hosted apps you just deploy the esri resources proxy and set the proxy url in your apps main config.json.

KaraCaricato-Michalke
New Contributor II

Rory,

Here is the help I had received from ESRI on this problem:

"Thank you for your time earlier today. Below I have tried to recap our

conversation:

- Identified that the Publisher folder path was UNC over IP, while the

Server folder path was an absolute path to Server's C drive.

- The templates were not located on the C drive rather were on a file

share.

- RDP into the File share machine.

- Created an identical siteadmin account with same credentials.

- Gave sharing and security permissions to the template folder.

- Copied the UNC path.

- Added this UNC path as the server folder path in template folder

registration.

- Successfully registered the location.

- Republished the service and all the templates were available."

I hope this helps and good luck!

Kara

RoryMcPherson__Stantec_
New Contributor II

Thanks! I'll look into these suggestions!

0 Kudos
EricPeña
Occasional Contributor

I also found that the templates folder must be registered with Server directly. It will not work if a parent folder is what is registered.  I had different department template folders within in a parent folder and figured registering the parent folder with Server would work but it didn't. Once I registered the template folders individually prints job worked.

0 Kudos