Coordinate Widget and small device previews

Jump to solution
11-02-2016 11:57 AM
NickHarvey
Occasional Contributor II

Hi All - I am working with WAB DE 2.2 and configured the Coordinate Widget for our data (WKID 2264).  The widget works in the desktop browser versions that I have installed (tested Firefox, IE, Chrome, etc)...But then I started doing smaller device previews (a great feature, love it).  I noticed that the "Click the map to get coordinates" option is disabled and the coordinates are no longer responding to cursor movement when previewing on smaller devices (basically anything that is not a desktop browser or an iPAD).   I'm not sure if others are having this problem, and why it is specific to smaller screen (phone) previews, including iPhone 6 etc.  Not sure if my issue overlaps with https://community.esri.com/thread/172046 as it is working for everything but smaller screens... Any suggestions or info helpful.  

Thanks!

-Nick  

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Nick,

The functionality is suppose to different on mobile device that use touch. Because there is no mouse the widget has to use touch end event to update the coordinates. So pan around the map and when you lift your finger the coordinate widget will update.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Nick,

The functionality is suppose to different on mobile device that use touch. Because there is no mouse the widget has to use touch end event to update the coordinates. So pan around the map and when you lift your finger the coordinate widget will update.

NickHarvey

Thanks Robert - I was expecting to tap on the button (left side of the widget) to activate the tool, then be able to tap again on the map (once the tool is active) to get coordinates.  All while the map is static, navigation already complete.  From an end-user experience I'd rather the map be static (lock pan/zoom) while the tool is active, then tap-with-intent.  I need to accept how it works for now but I'm noting a potential workaround or customization if enough calls come in from the field or from the public to justify the time....     

Thanks again

-Nick

0 Kudos
NickHarvey

I haven't found this topic in the Coordinate Widget use documentation, so thought I'd mention this detail also....According to the previews, the coordinates for the touch-end-event on small touch screen devices appear to represent the current extent' centroid, as opposed to the place on the map on which your touch-end-event has ended (which some folks might be expecting)...So for example if you touch on a manhole and pan-it into a far corner of the screen, the coordinates that are updated by the Coordinate Widget represent the current extent' centroid....Not the coordinates of the manhole that you just lifted your finger off of when doing the pan...

-Nick