Cannot print. Very frustrating problem.

03-26-2019 09:19 AM
CarlTownsend1
New Contributor III

Hi, I'm trying to use the print widget but it fails with the error message failed to create layer from service at http....../..../.../....etc. doesn;'t matter the page size or format, it always fails.

I'm using webAppBuilder 2.11 on our dev server and using locallayer to bring in layers from ArcGIS Server 10.6 via a published mxd.

I had the same problem when I was trying to develop a mapping service using the javascript api. printing would not work there either (It fails silently)

Assuming the print service is an out of the box solution, what else can I look at? I've looked at the setting on ArcGIS server,  I've also tried logging onto our server loading up the map and printing directly from there with no luck. I've really hit a brick wall here and everything I've tried does not work.

Does anyone have any ideas on where I could try looking next? Thanks.

87 Replies
CharlesFritz2
New Contributor III

Thank you Tanu Hoque‌ and Igor Streltsov‌. I was able to get the print service running against the rest services endpoint, and the built in webappbuilder. Still can't get dev edition to work when the app is deployed to a web application server. I have opened a ticket with support about the dev edition issues. Hopefully it is something simple to fix. Thanks.

0 Kudos
StefanUseldinger
Occasional Contributor II

I am also facing the issue under 10.8.1 that I cannot print secured (map) services using default or custom print services. When I share the service with "everyone" and secure it afterwards again, it seems to work for some minutes. The print patch is installed.

TanuHoque
Esri Regular Contributor

Stefan,

I don't think I will be much of help on this especially over geonet comments. Please reach out to Esri Tech Support, have someone take a look at this and we will go from there.

thanks.

Tanu

0 Kudos
JeffTimm
Occasional Contributor

I have this same issue.  It happened when we were running 10.7.1 and we got a hotfix for BUG-000126236 and then it worked.  After upgrading to 10.8.1 and then installing the latest print patch so we could print again, the issue is back.  

If Esri has helped you solve this please share.  Thanks

0 Kudos
TanuHoque
Esri Regular Contributor

Jeff,

just a cautionary note, the security is a pretty vast topic... even though both of your issues look the same, technically they might be two different issues -- depending on setups etc.

I'd suggest you open a separate ticket with support just to make sure.

thanks,

Tanu

0 Kudos
IngridMans
Occasional Contributor II

I have the same problem at my organization. No secure services have ever printed, whether on Portal 10.7.1 or after the 10.8 upgrade. I had a support case open with Esri on this which turned end up closing with the 'upgrade to 10.8' answer, but that didn't really pan out. 

AndresEcheverri
Occasional Contributor

They never worked for me when working with ArcGIS PRO templates. I'm still using ArcMap templates because I did not have that problem with them. I had also a support case and the ESRI Consultant sent me the link to use python to solve the problem which I had already tested without success. The links below:

Print secure web services using Arcpy

Web AppBuilder Printing with Secured Map Service

0 Kudos
Arne_Gelfert
Occasional Contributor III

Looks like it's been quiet in this thread. Did everyone get their issues fixed, or throw in the towel?

The patch seemed to fix any issues for custom print services using layouts created using ArcGIS Pro (2.6) Server Tools for printing.

In a custom Python GP/printing service, things bomb when we get to:

layout.exportToPDF(....)

This worked fine in 10.6.1 -- Has anyone run into similar issues or found a solution? Is this another bug or related or some completely separate issue? I started a separate thread before finding this one.

0 Kudos