Can't import map to WAB Developer Edition 2.0

Jump to solution
05-27-2016 08:32 AM
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Howdy,

I downloaded and installed the Web AppBuilder Developer Edition 2.0 on my computer. Everything went fine and I was able to create some maps and modify them with no problems. I exported a map and modified it on my desktop computer (modified the code). I have it "hosted" on a Public Google Drive folder that acts as a server and works just fine.

I want to import it back into the WAB Developer page so that I can make more modifications, but when I go to Import and choose Import from my computer, I navigate to the Zip file, and it gives me the error of Invalid App:

I am not sure what to do differently. I looked through this documentation but it is not clear how I am supposed to proceed.

https://developers.arcgis.com/web-appbuilder/guide/create-import-app.htm#ESRI_SECTION1_CD827E2951594...

Am I going about this all  wrong? This is my first time using WAB Developer so it's possible I'm not thinking clearly. I am using Firefox on my organizational AGOL account. It also gives me the same error on Chrome (version 50).

When I look at the logs in ...WebAppBuilderForArcGIS\server\logs\appbuilder.log, it just says:

[ERROR] app - Invalid App.

Before that I see:

[INFO] server - Set isXT = true;

Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Adrian,

OK,  Here is my workflow. Go to your orgs AGOL accounts and build your web map(s) the in WAB Dev create an app. Configure your app and make any custom coding changes or css modifications, add custom widgets, etc. Once happy with your app export it and deploy to your web server. If you need to go back and make more modifications then to your app then do that back in your WAB Dev machine. When you create a new app it copies the WAB stemapp to a new folder under the server\apps\ folder this is where you do all your custom work for that specific app. Once you are happy with your changes again, it depends on what you changed. If it was just a setting in a particular widgets config then all you need to do is copy that specific widgets config to your web server (no need to re-export the whole app). Hope this helps. Let me know if you have more questions.

View solution in original post

7 Replies
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Hopeful bump...

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Adrian,

I have never attempted to re-import an app this way. I always keep the app in my WAB library and just go back to the app in WAB again to make my modifications and copy out the parts that I changed (normally just re-configuring a widget or something). Or re-exporting the app if there was a lot changed.

AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Robert,

I really appreciate your reply. Can you kind of explain the 'best' process to take when utilizing the WAB Developer Edition?

From how it looks, create a map in the WAB, make changes in the Builder GUI part, and then export this map. From here, make changes to the underlying code in the exported map, but if needed to grab something else from the WAB in Builder-mode, go back into the WAB map, make those changes, export again, and then find the code changes and apply to the original exported map. Is that kind of what the workflow is like? Does that even make sense (reading it back seems confusing to me!).

Is the main purpose of the Developer edition to briefly touch on the developer tools in builder-mode and then do most of the modifications behind-the-scenes (by modifying the js, html, css, etc.)?

Thanks again.

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Adrian,

OK,  Here is my workflow. Go to your orgs AGOL accounts and build your web map(s) the in WAB Dev create an app. Configure your app and make any custom coding changes or css modifications, add custom widgets, etc. Once happy with your app export it and deploy to your web server. If you need to go back and make more modifications then to your app then do that back in your WAB Dev machine. When you create a new app it copies the WAB stemapp to a new folder under the server\apps\ folder this is where you do all your custom work for that specific app. Once you are happy with your changes again, it depends on what you changed. If it was just a setting in a particular widgets config then all you need to do is copy that specific widgets config to your web server (no need to re-export the whole app). Hope this helps. Let me know if you have more questions.

AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Robert,

I really appreciate the workflow. I have more things I need to play around with, that's for sure. Either way, I hope to be testing this out much more next week. I'll report back with questions, etc.

Thanks again,

Adrian

0 Kudos
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Wow, so I was going about it all wrong. Thanks Robert for clearing that up. It makes much more sense now.

I guess I didn't realize that you could make GUI changes and code changes at nearly the same time while having each one update each other. WAB Development Edition is super cool!  <-- nerd alert!

I guess one more thing... If you wanted to share publicly what your WAB map looks like, that is when you would export it out and put it on a server of sorts. Otherwise, keep it in the Dev area, make changes until it's ready to be served out (no need to tinker around with the exported version).

RolandoFernandez
New Contributor III

Hello Adrian, I'm unable to use WAB. It just get stuck on this screen when I try to create a new app.

RolandoFernandez_0-1617460788915.png

I already asked for help to the Esri represents that sell us the license in my country (Venezuela) but I have been waiting their answer for more than a month.

I got a Creator user and a GISPro Basic license, with any of those users I'm unable to use WAB.

I already tried with different browsers, eliminate cache, and enable pop up and cookies.

I hope you or someone in the Esri community can help me with this.

Thank you in advance.

0 Kudos