Can I customize standard widget instead create my own?

Jump to solution
02-10-2016 09:41 PM
GeneralFailure
New Contributor II

Here and here talks about creating custom widget.

And what about customizing standard widget?

For example, I want to add new actions to Edit widget.

Is it possible some way?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AveKargaja
Occasional Contributor

Yes You can, all default widgets are located in the very same "stemapp\widgets" folder where you you are supposed to deploy your own custom widget.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
AveKargaja
Occasional Contributor

Yes You can, all default widgets are located in the very same "stemapp\widgets" folder where you you are supposed to deploy your own custom widget.

RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

General Failure,

My suggestion is to add the desired widget to your app and customize the copy of the OTB widget in your app and not the stemApp folder. That way you can still have an original of the OTB widget and your copy customized.

BrianO_keefe
Occasional Contributor III

Definitely. Anyone who works with web tech would tell you the same thing. If you find that the OOB (Out of the Box) functionality isn't what you want? Clone the OOB and make it a modified clone. Otherwise you are going to have to maintain IT'S code base AND YOUR codebase as it gets upgraded.

Personally, I feel like they should have a 'Child' widget functionality so that I could create a CHILD of Widget X, and it would have ALL functionality of 'Parent' PLUS my additional code. Then I could create PLUS versions of any Widget without taking away from and having to maintain multiple codebases.

Just my two cents... granted, closer to a buck fifty, but still...

0 Kudos
AveKargaja
Occasional Contributor

Sure, that is the proper way to develop your own widget, I was merely pointing out the location

0 Kudos