Batch Attribute Editor Not Recognizing New Fields

Jump to solution
03-21-2022 09:23 AM
Labels (1)
JoshuaFlickinger
New Contributor III

Hi AGOL WAB community.  I realize there are newer apps available for use now, so WAB may not be getting much attention these days.  That said, WAB has a function that newer apps don't have yet: batch attribute editing.  I've tried to set up a simple WAB just for batch attribute editing and it works nicely.  That said, I'm encountering an issue that I can't seem to figure out.  After demo-ing the WAB product to our customer, I got the request to add a comments field to the batch editor.  Instead of republishing the whole feature service, I just added a comments field to the feature layer via its 'Data' tab.  I made sure the field was editable and visible in the pop-up.  I even added the field to map's 'form', even though I understand this newer setting is not being communicated to the older WAB.  But, here's the issue - the new field doesn't show up when I go in to the app to re-configure the Batch Edit tool.  It's not a selectable field in the list.  I can't figure out why.  It doesn't even show up if I try to start a new WAB from scratch.  I can edit the field within the web map viewer on a feature-by-feature basis, so I think I've configured the editing privileges properly.  Any insights from the community?  Has this happened to anybody else?  Is this a bug?

Many thanks for any info.

0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
RichSiko
New Contributor III

I recall a similar issue when I tried using the 'Data' tab to add a field to a feature layer.

The solution was to open Map Viewer show table for the feature layer and select the 'Add Field" option.

RichSiko_0-1647883035185.png

Adding the new field this way worked. 

View solution in original post

AlixVezina
Esri Regular Contributor

@JoshuaFlickinger , we would recommend configuring your web map in Map Viewer Classic if it's mostly meant to be used with Web AppBuilder since functionality and display will be downgraded.

Also - we have implemented a fix for BUG-000149074 and newly added fields should display as an option for the Batch Attribute Editor widget configuration.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
RichSiko
New Contributor III

I recall a similar issue when I tried using the 'Data' tab to add a field to a feature layer.

The solution was to open Map Viewer show table for the feature layer and select the 'Add Field" option.

RichSiko_0-1647883035185.png

Adding the new field this way worked. 

JoshuaFlickinger
New Contributor III

Thanks Rich, that did it! 

My problem was that I was working in the new Map Viewer (in order to create a dashboard off the same map).  Of course, the new Map Viewer doesn't have the capability to add new fields in the way you suggested, so I had to create a duplicate map for Map Viewer Classic.  I have to say that the redundancy is a little frustrating.  But, I guess since WAB was built to talk with map viewer classic anyway, it's probably a best practice for me to keep in mind moving forward: use whichever map viewer is most compatible with the app you're building! 

AlixVezina
Esri Regular Contributor

@JoshuaFlickinger , we would recommend configuring your web map in Map Viewer Classic if it's mostly meant to be used with Web AppBuilder since functionality and display will be downgraded.

Also - we have implemented a fix for BUG-000149074 and newly added fields should display as an option for the Batch Attribute Editor widget configuration.

0 Kudos