Select to view content in your preferred language

Add domain value in ArcGisOnline?

02-03-2017 07:03 AM
LianaSmith
Frequent Contributor

Is it possible to add coded values to layer's domain in ArcGIS Online? I use layer in the application that is constantly updated with new domains (inspector names). Now I have to update it in geodatabase and republish feature server. Is there any way to do in the application, so the user adds inspector name himself? May be someone used geoprocessing service for that?

Thanks!

Tags (1)
18 Replies
erica_poisson
Frequent Contributor

Have you ever experienced issues where this tool would update the domain in ArcPro, but then not translate over to AGOL? I'm experiencing something strange, where I've run the solution to modify a domain, it appears properly in ArcPro, and then when I go into AGOL, I can see the option to add (via "Edit" in Web Map) one of these new domain type features, but the new domains will not appear from the pick-list if I edit an existing feature in the attribute table. Also, when viewed via Collector, the option to add these new feature types are not appearing.

I've run the solution to modify a different domain in the same layer, and that worked fine. Could it be because I not only modified, but added new domain values? Am I missing some step? I'd assumed this was seamless - run the solution and see the results immediately online.

Erica
0 Kudos
deleted-user-qpvAI3Fo0MKR
Deactivated User

Frankly I have noticed latency in the tool between Pro and AGOL/Collector.

0 Kudos
erica_poisson
Frequent Contributor

Huh...interesting to know. How long of a lag have you generally noticed? I'd say it's been about 30-45 minutes, and things are still not acting as I'd hope. I'm about to give up and use ArcMap to just overwrite the service with my changes since I know that is reliable.

Erica
0 Kudos
Deactivated User

Not that long for sure. Is there a good reason you just wouldn't edit the service definition .json? It would be less painful IMHO.

0 Kudos
erica_poisson
Frequent Contributor

I've edited via JSON before, but it makes me a bit nervous. I just exported my data to a FGDB, and the newly added domain was there in the download...it just refuses to show up in the Web Map/Collector.

Erica
0 Kudos
Deactivated User

Bummer - I'd open a ticket  sorry to hear it.

0 Kudos
LeonS
by
Frequent Contributor

I'm wondering if you publish the downloaded FGDB as a new service and try that in a new web map, if the problem persists. That might be the easiest fix.

0 Kudos
erica_poisson
Frequent Contributor

That's essentially what I ended up doing, and it worked fine.

Erica
0 Kudos
DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor

All,

FYI, the ability to create and edit domains plus give you a field-centric view of a layer’s fields that allows the data owner to configure field properties is coming in the forthcoming ArcGIS Online update.

https://community.esri.com/community/gis/web-gis/arcgisonline/blog/2018/06/07/whats-coming-arcgis-on... 

(item 3)

Hope this helps,