Add Data Widget fails to add GPX file

02-10-2017 04:29 AM
ThomasColson
MVP Frequent Contributor

Add Data Widget fails to add GPX file. Add Data widget—Web AppBuilder for ArcGIS | ArcGIS  indicates that in WAB 2.3, one should be able to "Drag" or "Add" a GPX file to a web map using the widget. That does not occur, instead, an error message "Generate Feature Error: Data upload to hosted server failed". This is on an instance hosted internally, deployed using WAB for Developers. I am able to add zipped shapefiles (any projection) as well as csv files. I have tried many GPX files, which work fine in DNRGARMIN and Basecamp, so the problem is not with the GPX file. Happens with multiple versions of Chrome, Firefox, and IE. 

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
17 Replies
DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Ali,

As Thomas already posted below, the status of Esri BUG-000104018 is that Portal for ArcGIS does not currently support GeoJSON and GPX files, so right now it is a software limitation.

Hope this helps,

0 Kudos
ThomasColson
MVP Frequent Contributor

When will Portal support adding GeoJSON and GPX Files? Seems counter intuitive to the "push" to get more folks using web-based mapping tools. 

0 Kudos
ThomasColson
MVP Frequent Contributor

A very disappointing response from ESRI, as the lack of support for this tool in Portal is not documented. I wouldn't have gone through all the trouble to deploy it, then spend months troubleshooting it, and hours on the phone explaining the problem. Why aren't GeoJSON and GPX supported in Portal? Isn't Portal the same platform as AGOL?

The status of Esri BUG-000104018 - When Web AppBuilder for ArcGIS (Developer Edition) is configured with Portal for ArcGIS, adding a .gpx file using the Add Data widget fails. - that you have been associated with has been changed to Not in Current Product Plan.
Public Explanation: GeoJSON and GPX files are not supported in Portal for ArcGIS backend.

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Thomas,

No Portal has never been the same version as AGOL. It is about 2 versions behind.

JohnPlunkett
Esri Contributor

Hello - I am working on a case with a customer

When we add a GPX file via the add data widget to an ArcGIS Online WebApp Builder - we are unable to view the attribute table if it is a point gpx file.

Is this a known issue?

John P

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

So, i got this from ESRI. if you have WAB 2.11 and Portal 10.6 the add data widget works. if not it doesn't.  Bummer. The comment on "repoducible" means that it doesn't work and they get the same error message. I have WAB developer 2.11 and Portal 10.5.1. Out of luck for me.......

I wanted to check in regarding our open case regarding the Add data widget not performing as expected. I was able to test several different and components and in my testing I found this issue occurs in several environments but is fixed in others. My testing is detailed below as well as a request to confirm the Web AppBuilder developer's edition version you are using:

• Portal 10.5.1 Web AppBuilder application the issue is reproducible
  • Portal 10.6 Web AppBuilder application the issue is not reproducible and all data types can be added successfully
  • Portal 10.6.1 Web AppBuilder application the issue is reproducible
  • Web AppBuilder Developer Edition application Version 2.11 the issue is not reproducible and all data types can be added successfully (enhanced features and more data types available)
  • Web AppBuilder Developer Edition application Version 2.10 the issue is not reproducible
  • ArcGIS Online Web AppBuilder application this issue is not reproducible and all data types can be added successfully (enhanced features and more data types available)
0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Scott,

The most likely reason with the Portal reproducible or not is that Portal is several version behind the main WAB version on AGOL or WAB Dev.

See the below link for details on WAB version used in which Portal versions:

About release versions—Portal for ArcGIS | ArcGIS Enterprise 

MattiasEkström
Occasional Contributor III

I know that Portal is behind AGOL, but still at ArcGIS Enterprise 10.9.1 I can't add GPX-files with Add Data Widget. But it works in AGOL.

Will adding GPX files never work with Web AppBuilder and Portal?

Do I really have to write my own widget to do this when it works fine in AGOL and have been for a long time? it just seems silly.