Select to view content in your preferred language

Select, Copy, and Paste feature in WebApp Builder

09-13-2017 05:46 AM
ClaytonCooley2
New Contributor III

I would like to see the ability to select a feature, click a button that says "Copy Shape", then select the feature class I want to add it to. This works great in Collector but I've yet to figure out how to replicate it in a web app.

Tags (1)
22 Comments
StefanoToni

Hi Amber, 

yes of course, I dragged to select the feature, either by including the entire polygon or by intersection.
I discovered the reason for the non-functionality: the web map contains both the feature layer and the map image layer; if I remove the map image layer then it works.
I don't know if it's a bug, it's strange because all the other functions where a selection is required work well with the web map containing both layers.

Thank you for your answer.

Cheers

Stefano

jonathanmolineaux

Hi Amber, 

I am not sure of your purpose for using this functionality but I was wondering if you were able to get this tool to work without having to configure the layer settings each time you wanted to use a new web map for your app. For example, the Edit Widget currently has a layer setting that allows you to choose "Honor settings in the web map". I was wondering why this was not the same for the smart editor widget and if you may know of a way to get around it. I would essentially like users to edit new feature layers in the map without having to check the editable feature layers each time I want to use the widget.  

AmberKelly

Hi Jonathan,

I never had the requirement to edit newly added layers myself, essentially for me thus far the map sourced into the Web App has never been updated with new datasets. I can see how frustrating that would be. Unfortunately I don’t have any answers for you except maybe suggesting that ESRI consider this in their next update.

Best of luck!

Amber

jonathanmolineaux

Thanks Amber!

GoulburnBroken

This is an excellent idea. 

The suggested idea by could obviously piggyback off the Copy Feature function now in Smart Editor.

In regards to copy features use within Smart Editor  - as Stefano Toni‌ mentions the copy feature function does not work when trying to select a map service feature. We experience the same thing.

Is there anyone who has been able to customize the Smart Editor/Copy Features function so that a Map Service feature can be selected? I assume it is possible as upon the query task on the map service where Return Geometry = True the geometry could be returned as part of the feature set.

KristalWalsh

Hi Amber, I ran across your post today about using Smart Editor and this potentially could save our folks alot of time in the field! I just ran through a test this evening and on the first trial of copying a polygon feature and pasting it to another feature class, it worked famously! I am not sure why my "create" template looks a little unorganized but I guess it's not a big deal at the moment. It won't let me resize the window.  We are using Collector in conjunction with this webmap/app but I'm thinking any copy/pasting would need to be done in AGOL only and that there is no functionality in Collector. That's not a problem, but just thinking about workflow. Any tips you have had with the back and forth between mobile and desktop would be appreciated. This is so very helpful! Thank you! Kristal

AmberKelly

Hi Krystal,

Glad its been of use to you!

Collector does have a copy function (to copy from one feature to another). If you don’t need any of the other web app functionality maybe that will solve some of that back and forth?

Below is a mobile workflow. Ive run through it on a Desktop install of Collector and it all worked, but haven’t tried on mobile.

https://support.esri.com/en/technical-article/000017946

Good luck!

Amber

KristalWalsh

Hi Amber, I tried this a couple months ago and got it to work initially but now it's being finicky and thought I might see if you would have an idea of what could be causing the problem. I have played around with the editable tab because there were layers I did not want to show up in the template. I realized I could just turn these off in the map but now with "editable" on, only the site visit layer shows up.  All these feature service layers are editable in my AGOL map, they are turned on, etc. I'm going to rearrange the layer that is off in case that could be causing the problem which would be very strange.  Also, I thought it odd that my template name does not appear on top of the shape. Thoughts? Thank you!

DanCronin

Hi Goulburn, we would also benefit from the ability to copy from a map service, specifically, massive tile caches of land ownership information. Have you heard anything further? 

KristalWalsh

Hey Amber, I did check out the mobile workflow that you mentioned before but it's for the older version of Collector and we have already been working in the new Collector for a while. So, not going back at this time.  I've got the Smart Editor to work pretty well with copy/paste but have seen some screen shots that look much nicer than mine. I know this pulls right from the web map and see where I can improve my alias names but did you remove your layer names? I would actually prefer to just have a title and rename "new feature" (s) to eliminate all the clutter. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. We are about to pilot in our Northwest Florida Region so this has really improved our workflow efficiency until there is something better. Thanks!Smart Editor Template