Visual Studio Template Missing?

02-07-2013 11:59 AM
BenTreptow
New Contributor II
I have Visual Studio 2012, ArcGIS Viewer for Silverlight 3.1 and the Extensibility SDK installed, but the VS template is not showing up. I've tried unistalling/resinstalling the Extensibility SDK, but it doesn't resolve the issue. Anybody know what's going on?
20 Replies
YuandaZhu
New Contributor II
Could you please specify a little bit more? I still have the same problem here. Thanks.

I think I have it fixed. It was not an issue with the Extensibility installer at all, the paths to my project templates and item templates were set to my user folder in Visual Studio rather than Visual Studio's install location where the Extensibility SDK was putting the template. Setting the correct paths in Visual Studio under Tools > Options > Projects and Solutions seems to have solved the problem.
0 Kudos
NicholasGross
Occasional Contributor II
Could you please specify a little bit more? I still have the same problem here. Thanks.

Well, there's not much more to say really. The options dialog I mentioned before had the incorrect template paths. They needed to be set to the template directories at the default VS2012 install location: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 11.0\Common7\IDE\ProjectTemplates" and "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 11.0\Common7\IDE\ItemTemplates".

That's really all there was to it, in my case.
0 Kudos
MetteMøller
New Contributor
I have desperately tried all the different ideas posted in this thread and still can´t get those bloody templates to show up in VS, unfortunately :confused: . I really need to create a custom add-in, so could anyone please post a *.zip file with the templates? or a link to where I can download it? I would really appreciate that
Thanks in advance for your replies 😉
0 Kudos
KatherineDalton
Esri Regular Contributor
Hello Mette,

Sorry you've had trouble extracting the templates. Unfortunately the zip file is 15MB, so it can't be attached here at the forum. Can you tell me where you're getting stuck in the process of extracting the zip file? Are you able to see the .zip file once you extract it from the Setup.msi?

Thanks,
Katy
Katy Dalton | Technical Consultant
THE SCIENCE OF WHERE™
0 Kudos
MetteMøller
New Contributor
Hello Mette,

Sorry you've had trouble extracting the templates. Unfortunately the zip file is 15MB, so it can't be attached here at the forum. Can you tell me where you're getting stuck in the process of extracting the zip file? Are you able to see the .zip file once you extract it from the Setup.msi?

Thanks,
Katy

Hi Katy,
Thank you very much for your quick reply. The problem was that the setup.msi wasn´t showing up in my temp directory. I then searched my entire c-drive and found it elsewhere. I managed to extract the .zip file succesfully and now everything works like a charm 🙂 sorry for the inconvenience.
Best regards
Mette
0 Kudos
PaulDioguardo
New Contributor II
Is the Extensibility SDK VS template only available for C# Visual Studio projects? Are there any plans to release a VB.net version?

Thx,
Paul

Hi All,

Apologies for the delay on this; it took us a while to pinpoint the scenario and cause. It looks like for systems with only Visual Studio 2012 installed the template isn't getting extracted properly. Here is the workaround.

Basically, you need to extract the template from the setup and manually wire it up to work with VS:

1. If Visual Studio is open, close it.

2. If the Extensibility SDK is already installed, uninstall it.

3. Once the uninstall has finished, start the Extensibility SDK installer

4. When the setup window appears, navigate to %temp%\{1275F0CE-72F0-4FDD-9981-CB215CE2F310}. You can find the path to %temp% by opening a command prompt and issuing the command �??echo %temp%�?�. On Windows 7, for instance, the temp directory will be C:\Users\<user name>\AppData\Local\Temp. Note that you must navigate to the temp directory while the setup window is open.

5. Copy the setup.msi file from the temp directory to another location (e.g. C:\temp).

6. Complete the Extensibility SDK setup.

7. Extract the contents of the setup.msi. To do this, open a command prompt and issue the command �??msiexec /a <msi path> /qb TARGETDIR=<extraction path>�?� - for example �??msiexec /a c:\temp\setup.msi /qb TARGETDIR=c:\temp\viewer�?�. (No quotes)

8. After the contents have been extracted, navigate to the Microsoft Visual Studio 11.0\CSharp\Silverlight\Esri folder in the extraction location.

9. Copy the ESRIViewer.zip file to the appropriate Visual Studio 2012 templates directory. If Visual Studio is installed on the C drive, this will be C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 11.0\Common7\IDE\ProjectTemplates\CSharp\Silverlight\Esri

10. Open the Developer Command Prompt for VS2012 and enter the command �??devenv /setup�?� (You may need to run the command prompt as an administrator).

Hope that helps.

Katy
0 Kudos
JohanCarlsson
Occasional Contributor
I think I have it fixed. It was not an issue with the Extensibility installer at all, the paths to my project templates and item templates were set to my user folder in Visual Studio rather than Visual Studio's install location where the Extensibility SDK was putting the template. Setting the correct paths in Visual Studio under Tools > Options > Projects and Solutions seems to have solved the problem.

After following Katys guide until step 9, and then changing the directory as you suggested worked for me. Using the /setup command on Visual Studio Express Web 2013 did nothing.

Thanks for all the input.
0 Kudos
KatherineDalton
Esri Regular Contributor
Hi Paul,

Correct, there is only the C# Version of the templates. We do not plan to release a version with VB.NET.

Thanks,
Katy
Katy Dalton | Technical Consultant
THE SCIENCE OF WHERE™
0 Kudos
RajivDadwal
New Contributor

Hi,

I also have the similar problem. I have created an MVC template in VS 2013, to re-use basic functionality using VSIX Extension. I am able to see the zip file in appdata/local......../projecttemplate location. When i open new project wizard. it doesn't show up there.

I even try to put the zip file in visual studio project template (Where VS is installed). This way it comes up in new project wizard but when i create new project from this template. It says "file paths not found in project folder". I unzip the template and the files are there.

I am not able to understand why it is showing this error.  

Any suggetion to make it run??????

0 Kudos
januszkrawczynski
New Contributor II
Hello All involved,
I have the same problem "ESRI Viewer" is not found, missing.
New computer no other software loaded except essential Windows 7 Professional.

Setting up new environment to develop Add-in tools for ESRI Silverlignt Viewer.
Getting frustrated since the problem is existing for at least two weeks.
Cannot get it rite following all the steps mentioned in this thread.

Some responses or suggestions when they do not work are annoying.
When Kathy Dalton says "10. Open the Developer Command Prompt for VS2012 and enter the command �??devenv /setup�?� (You may need to run the command prompt as an administrator)."
What does it mean when I do not have "devenv" simply having installed "VS Express 2013 for Web".
When Kathy says "I believe you should be able to use vwdexpress.exe (the executable for Visual Web Developer Express)", that leaves doubt in my opinion. It might be something else as well. The suggestion should be more determined.

I ran it and what is expected to happen? In my case nothing.
What to do next?
What ESRI approach to the problem would have been if the success of the install was dictating if I will use ESRI products or not?
We cannot be left alone on our own.
Sorry, it feels like I am picking on Kathy but I am not, I respect her knowledge, but I just get annoyed if something is not working.

I installed:
Microsoft Visual Studio Express 2013 for Web ( this version includes Expression Blend I think but I can not find it out for sure) when I do search for Expression Blend this download comes up.
ArcGISAPI32forSilverlight
ArcGISExtensibility3_2_x86
ArcGISSilverlightViewer3_2_x64
Silverlight_5_Toolkit_December_2011
Silverlight_Developer_x64

Expression Blend loaded the template in this location, when all my software is located on C:\.... why?
D:\Microsoft Expression\en\CSharp\Silverlight\Esri\ESRIViewer

Is there any help available?
What should one do if one wants to develop and use Silverlight Viewer?

Thanks,
Janusz
0 Kudos