Select to view content in your preferred language

Visual Studio Template Missing?

02-07-2013 11:59 AM
BenTreptow
Emerging Contributor
I have Visual Studio 2012, ArcGIS Viewer for Silverlight 3.1 and the Extensibility SDK installed, but the VS template is not showing up. I've tried unistalling/resinstalling the Extensibility SDK, but it doesn't resolve the issue. Anybody know what's going on?
20 Replies
NickRose2
Emerging Contributor
Yes, I have the same issue.

Installed VS 2012, all the necessary dependencies, and no ESRI Templates.

I did find however that if I go to Control Panel-Uninstall a program, and Modify ArcGIS API 3.1 for Silverlight, that the project Templates did not install. After installing these, the ESRI templates appear, but not the ESRI Viewer template.

I am installing on Windows 7 64 bit.

Nick
0 Kudos
NickRose2
Emerging Contributor
Any recommendations on where or who I should contact from here in regards to this issue?
0 Kudos
concordiaconcordia
New Contributor
I have the same issue, I  tried VS 2010 and VS 2012 and couldn't use ESRI viewer templates. Does anybody know the solution?

Ali
0 Kudos
KatherineDalton
Esri Regular Contributor
Hi All,

Apologies for the delay on this; it took us a while to pinpoint the scenario and cause. It looks like for systems with only Visual Studio 2012 installed the template isn't getting extracted properly. Here is the workaround.

Basically, you need to extract the template from the setup and manually wire it up to work with VS:

1. If Visual Studio is open, close it.

2. If the Extensibility SDK is already installed, uninstall it.

3. Once the uninstall has finished, start the Extensibility SDK installer

4. When the setup window appears, navigate to %temp%\{1275F0CE-72F0-4FDD-9981-CB215CE2F310}. You can find the path to %temp% by opening a command prompt and issuing the command �??echo %temp%�?�. On Windows 7, for instance, the temp directory will be C:\Users\<user name>\AppData\Local\Temp. Note that you must navigate to the temp directory while the setup window is open.

5. Copy the setup.msi file from the temp directory to another location (e.g. C:\temp).

6. Complete the Extensibility SDK setup.

7. Extract the contents of the setup.msi. To do this, open a command prompt and issue the command �??msiexec /a <msi path> /qb TARGETDIR=<extraction path>�?� - for example �??msiexec /a c:\temp\setup.msi /qb TARGETDIR=c:\temp\viewer�?�. (No quotes)

8. After the contents have been extracted, navigate to the Microsoft Visual Studio 11.0\CSharp\Silverlight\Esri folder in the extraction location.

9. Copy the ESRIViewer.zip file to the appropriate Visual Studio 2012 templates directory. If Visual Studio is installed on the C drive, this will be C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 11.0\Common7\IDE\ProjectTemplates\CSharp\Silverlight\Esri

10. Open the Developer Command Prompt for VS2012 and enter the command �??devenv /setup�?� (You may need to run the command prompt as an administrator).

Hope that helps.

Katy
Katy Dalton | Technical Consultant
THE SCIENCE OF WHERE™
0 Kudos
NicholasGross
Deactivated User
Hi All,

Apologies for the delay on this; it took us a while to pinpoint the scenario and cause. It looks like for systems with only Visual Studio 2012 installed the template isn't getting extracted properly. Here is the workaround.

Basically, you need to extract the template from the setup and manually wire it up to work with VS:

1. If Visual Studio is open, close it.

2. If the Extensibility SDK is already installed, uninstall it.

3. Once the uninstall has finished, start the Extensibility SDK installer

4. When the setup window appears, navigate to %temp%\{1275F0CE-72F0-4FDD-9981-CB215CE2F310}. You can find the path to %temp% by opening a command prompt and issuing the command �??echo %temp%�?�. On Windows 7, for instance, the temp directory will be C:\Users\<user name>\AppData\Local\Temp. Note that you must navigate to the temp directory while the setup window is open.

5. Copy the setup.msi file from the temp directory to another location (e.g. C:\temp).

6. Complete the Extensibility SDK setup.

7. Extract the contents of the setup.msi. To do this, open a command prompt and issue the command �??msiexec /a <msi path> /qb TARGETDIR=<extraction path>�?� - for example �??msiexec /a c:\temp\setup.msi /qb TARGETDIR=c:\temp\viewer�?�. (No quotes)

8. After the contents have been extracted, navigate to the Microsoft Visual Studio 11.0\CSharp\Silverlight\Esri folder in the extraction location.

9. Copy the ESRIViewer.zip file to the appropriate Visual Studio 2012 templates directory. If Visual Studio is installed on the C drive, this will be C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 11.0\Common7\IDE\ProjectTemplates\CSharp\Silverlight\Esri

10. Open the Developer Command Prompt for VS2012 and enter the command �??devenv /setup�?� (You may need to run the command prompt as an administrator).

Hope that helps.

Katy

Katy,

Is there a different workaround for the Express editions because they don't include the devenv command, or are they incompatible with the extensibility sdk? I've tried to use both WDExpress /setup for VS2012 for Desktop Express and VWDExpress /setup for VS2012 for Web Express and haven't gotten any different results either way. For step 9 above, the zip file was actually already located at "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 11.0\Common7\IDE\ProjectTemplates\CSharp\Silverlight\Esri" but I followed the instructions and copied over it anyway, but no change.

Right now I can see the Standard and Showcase Map templates for the ArcGIS Silverlight API in VS2012 for Web Express, as well as Expression Blend, but not the Silverlight Viewer template. I can't see any Silverlight templates in VS2012 for Desktop Express (though that may be normal, I'm not sure which product these API's target).
0 Kudos
KatherineDalton
Esri Regular Contributor
Hi Nicholas,

I believe you should be able to use vwdexpress.exe (the executable for Visual Web Developer Express). Devenv.exe is simply the executable for Visual Studio. Note that you'll probably need to run it as an Administrator.

Katy
Katy Dalton | Technical Consultant
THE SCIENCE OF WHERE™
0 Kudos
NicholasGross
Deactivated User
I'm not sure why but it doesn't seem to be working. In Express 2012 for Web, under Templates -> Visual C# -> Silverlight -> Esri, I still only see the ESRI Standard Map Application and the ESRI Showcase Map Application that are installed with the API.

• I uninstalled the Extensibility SDK.

• Launched the Extensibility installer and did NOT proceed past the first page of the wizard.

• Copied Setup.msi to a temporary location "C:\NEWTEMP2"

• Finished the Extensibiliy setup.

• Extracted Setup.msi to a new folder in the same temporary directory using the command prompt "C:\NEWTEMP2\viewer\Microsoft Visual Studio 11.0\CSharp\Silverlight\Esri"

• Copied the ESRIViewer.zip file from "C:\NEWTEMP2\viewer\Microsoft Visual Studio 11.0\CSharp\Silverlight\Esri" to "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 11.0\Common7\IDE\ProjectTemplates\CSharp\Silverlight\Esri"

• Using the Developer Command Prompt for 2012, ran VWDExpress.exe /setup as an administrator

• Opened VS Express 2012 for Web and don't see any changes.

Any thoughts???
0 Kudos
NicholasGross
Deactivated User
I think I have it fixed. It was not an issue with the Extensibility installer at all, the paths to my project templates and item templates were set to my user folder in Visual Studio rather than Visual Studio's install location where the Extensibility SDK was putting the template. Setting the correct paths in Visual Studio under Tools > Options > Projects and Solutions seems to have solved the problem.
0 Kudos
YueWu1
by Esri Regular Contributor
Esri Regular Contributor

This is a quite good point and here I add another video to demo this method!  http://screencast.com/t/9pGbEA0atP

0 Kudos