Select to view content in your preferred language

New Silverlight Viewer - Expected Release Date?

09-11-2012 05:22 AM
IanPeebles
Regular Contributor
I have heard from a colleague that a new Silverlight Viewer is expected to be released very soon.  Anyone have and idea on the expected released and what type of additional functionality it will include?  Also, how long does ESRI plan to support the Silverlight Viewer?
0 Kudos
16 Replies
DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor
Hi Ian,

I have heard from a colleague that a new Silverlight Viewer is expected to be released very soon.  Anyone have and idea on the expected released and what type of additional functionality it will include?

We're targeting the next release for late Sept/early Oct timeframe (so very soon!)
It will include the following as part of its core functionality:
- bookmarks tool
- measure tool
- support for custom locators
- print tool (supports the new 10.1 Printingtools GP service)

It will be built and compiled on the ArcGIS v3.0 API for Silverlight release.

Also, how long does ESRI plan to support the Silverlight Viewer?

We're planning on supporting the ArcGIS Viewer for Silverlight for the foreseeable future. It (along with the ArcGIS Viewer for Flex) is the out-of-the-box, configurable web mapping application builder for ArcGIS for Server moving forward.

Hope this helps,
0 Kudos
ZacharyHart
Regular Contributor
Hi Ian,

We're targeting the next release for late Sept/early Oct timeframe (so very soon!)
It will include the following as part of its core functionality:
- bookmarks tool
- measure tool
- support for custom locators
- print tool (supports the new 10.1 Printingtools GP service)

It will be built and compiled on the ArcGIS v3.0 API for Silverlight release.

We're planning on supporting the ArcGIS Viewer for Silverlight for the foreseeable future. It (along with the ArcGIS Viewer for Flex) is the out-of-the-box, configurable web mapping application builder for ArcGIS for Server moving forward.

Hope this helps,

Will 3.0 have an identity manager built-in to handle secured arcgis server services?
0 Kudos
DerekLaw
Hi Zachary,

Will 3.0 have an identity manager built-in to handle secured arcgis server services?

The current release of the ArcGIS Viewer for Silverlight already supports secured services from ArcGIS for Server.

FYI, Adding secured services

Is this what you're asking?

Hope this helps,
0 Kudos
ZacharyHart
Regular Contributor
Hi Zachary,

The current release of the ArcGIS Viewer for Silverlight already supports secured services from ArcGIS for Server.

FYI, Adding secured services

Is this what you're asking?

Hope this helps,

Nope...I'm talking about exposing a secured service where the client is requested to provide credentials...similar to how the Flex viewer works....

the only way to do this in SL is to embed a token in a proxy page...thus anyone with your web applications URL can see your services...the only way to secure that web application is at the web server tier. Setting that up for the average GIS person isn't exactly easy...sure its easier if you maintain your user credential store within windows/web server, but if your credential store is configured to use the AGS's built-in security you need to design a web-facing page which can access those credentials back to AGS....which sounds very round-robin to me. Additionally, the only article that i've seen from ESRI on how to set this up basically stores the user credentials within the login.aspx.

Why can't the silverlight viewer just prompt for credentials against secured map services using the identity manager like Flex does? what am I missing?
0 Kudos
DerekLaw
Hi Zachary,

... I'm talking about exposing a secured service where the client is requested to provide credentials...similar to how the Flex viewer works ... Why can't the silverlight viewer just prompt for credentials against secured map services using the identity manager like Flex does?

We haven't implemented the ArcGIS API for Silverlight�??s identity manager into the Viewer yet. This is on the product roadmap, but is not part of the next release.

Hope this helps,
0 Kudos
ZacharyHart
Regular Contributor
Hi Zachary,

We haven't implemented the ArcGIS API for Silverlight�??s identity manager into the Viewer yet. This is on the product roadmap, but is not part of the next release.

Hope this helps,

Thanks, that does answer my question.
0 Kudos
KirkKuykendall
Regular Contributor
Any updates on the expected release date?

Thanks, Kirk
0 Kudos
DerekLaw
Hi Kirk,

Any updates on the expected release date?

The ArcGIS Viewer for Silverlight v3.0 release should be in the next couple of weeks.

Hope this helps,
0 Kudos
TomFlahive
New Contributor III
Hi Derek,

Like Zachary, the feature I was most hoping to see in the new release was an improvement in the way the Silverlight Viewer accesses secured services.  Setting up proxy pages is a pain and I've spent quite a bit of time with the ESRI help desk getting that to work (and am still having problems).  The Flex demos at the User Conference made accessing such secured services seem very easy.  I'm hoping the Silverlight Viewer team will consider moving that up the priority list to make it in the next Silverlight Viewer release.

Tom
0 Kudos