Select to view content in your preferred language

ArcGIS Silverlight Viewer - Is there a way to get rid of the default Base Map?

08-29-2012 09:30 AM
IanPeebles
Frequent Contributor
I am building a application using the silverlight viewer.  I do not want the default base map that comes with the application.  I know how to remove it from the Table of Contents, but cannot get rid of the base map in the background.  Anyone have any suggestions?
0 Kudos
3 Replies
TanyaOwens
Frequent Contributor
Do you have a basemap of your own that you want to use? As far as I know (which could be wrong) you need to have a least one basemap. I added in my own custom base map by going to the Settings (upper right hand corner when you open the viewer builder), under the tab basemap I added my own and you can remove the others if you want at that location.
0 Kudos
IanPeebles
Frequent Contributor
Do you have a basemap of your own that you want to use? As far as I know (which could be wrong) you need to have a least one basemap. I added in my own custom base map by going to the Settings (upper right hand corner when you open the viewer builder), under the tab basemap I added my own and you can remove the others if you want at that location.

That is the direction I am heading.  Do you know if there is a way to turn on and off the base map?  In my case, the base map will be a cached air photo.  I was the user to be able to turn on and off the aerial as needed.
0 Kudos
IanPeebles
Frequent Contributor
Well I sort of found a solution.  Since I did not want a basemap and wanted all layers to be operational, I created a service called blank and cached it (.jpg) at one scale (1:120000).  There are only two tiles that are completely white.  I added a new basemap and pointed it to the REST URL.  Within the application, I changed the base map from the air photo to the blank base map and removed it from the table of contents.  I then added the air photo as a operational layer (cached at 9 scales), so our users can turn it on and off.  This seems to be working really well.
0 Kudos