view multiple pictures

03-17-2011 06:03 AM
RandellMcGlynn
New Contributor
Hi, I'm trying to create a web app with the flex viewer, but I need to show multiple pictures for one point. I've used the enhanced identify widget, to show one picture, but is there a way to view more than one (For this project, I only need to show 2 images, but it would be nice to show more than 2). I don't have to use the identify widget, I would just prefer it, but if there is no other way I would be alright with that.

Thanks in advance.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
42 Replies
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus
Randell,

The identify widget does not support this, and I will not be modifying it to do this in the future either and here is the reason. Many people have asked for the capability to have multiple links and images but the issue is the Info Window that the identify widget uses is not part of the widget but is actually part of the Flex Viewer base code. So to be able to support multi images or links would require a custom info window to be written (which is not really a big deal, but further complicates the install and configuration of what is suppose to be a simple widget).

So all that being said I have produced a great alternative widget. The Attachment Relate Info Window Widget is a great do all widget for as it name says attachments, relates, mutli images, and multi links. But it does not act as the identify widget in the case that it has to have an individual layer in the flex viewer defined as type = "feature" (that does not mean that the url of this layer has to be pointing to a feature service though). It also doesn't have a GUI that is launched first and then you click on the map, what you have is a feature layer drawn on the map and then you click the feature and a GUI appears with results, images, links, buttons for querying attachment and relates if these are defined in the XML file.

So take a look:
http://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=4ec33120c9ea4d019fddf722fc34ea3c
0 Kudos
RandellMcGlynn
New Contributor
Very cool widget. One question though:

With the multipleimagefield tag, is there a way to make the images a clickable link that will open up the picture in a new tab like the linkfield tag?

Thanks for the response.
0 Kudos
RandellMcGlynn
New Contributor
Ok so for the project I am doing I only need to display two pictures. So I figured I would just have two <linkfield> tags instead of one <multiimagefield> tag. They would be clickable thumbnails that open the picture in the internet browser, and that would be great. So I put them in there and only one picture shows up. I've tested both fields to make sure they there are no spelling errors or anything like that, and they work fine individually. So perhaps it is not possible. if I set the "icon_or_text_or_img" property to text  for one picture and the other to "img" they show up fine and are clickable links, but I cannot get two thumbnail pictures to show up. Any thoughts?

Here is my config file code:

<?xml version="1.0" ?>
<configuration>
    <fields>Picture_File,Picture_File2</fields>
    <titlefield>Picture_File</titlefield>
    <links>
    <linkfield icon_or_text_or_img="img" icon="" linkalias="" linkprefix="" linksuffix="">Picture_File</linkfield>
    <linkfield icon_or_text_or_img="img" icon="" linkalias="" linkprefix="" linksuffix="">Picture_File2</linkfield>
    </links>
    <layername>Photos</layername>
    <datefields dateformat="MM/DD/YYYY"></datefields> <!-- field in milliseconds or string -->
    <zoomscale>300</zoomscale>
    <csvseparator>,</csvseparator>
    <labels>
     <csvdefaultname>Related Records</csvdefaultname>
  <exportbtnlabel>Export...</exportbtnlabel>
  <export2csvoptionlabel>Export to CSV...</export2csvoptionlabel>
  <export2txtoptionlabel>Export to Txt...</export2txtoptionlabel>
    </labels>
</configuration>

Thanks.
0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus
Randell,

Currently, you are in a hard spot... You can not have two img type links appear as thumbnails, for this situation I created the multi image. But with the multi image I forgot to add the ability to click and hyperlink to the full image. So bottom line is currently there is no good solution for you to have multiple thumbnails that act as hyperlinks. I will how ever add it to the enhancement list. The enhancement would be to the multi image part though, where each multi image would be clickable.
0 Kudos
RandellMcGlynn
New Contributor
Not a problem, you are doing excellent work. I'll just have to use two text link fields until you make the update to the widget.

Quick question though, when I set the operational layer in the config.xml file the features no longer use the symbology I set for them in the service. They just show up as black circles. Any Idea what I did wrong there? I copy and pasted it from the read me text file that was included with the download.

Thanks.
0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus
Randell,

That tells me that you are not using ArcGIS Server 10 for your server. Basically if your server is not 10 than the drawing info for your featurelayer will not get sent to the client and thus you get the default simple symbology. The only work around until you upgrade to 10 is to add renderers manually to the MapManager.mxml. Let me know if you are interested in this route and I can give you a link to where I already showed how to do this in another thread.
0 Kudos
RandellMcGlynn
New Contributor
Unfortunately I'm having a difficult time getting my company to buy adobe flash builder so I do not believe I have the capabilities to do any this kind of programming yet. I do know that we should be upgrading to 10 in the next few months, so that should relieve me of that problem. Regardless I am interested in learning these things, so I feel free to send me the link I'll look at it as soon as I get flash builder.

thanks
0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus
0 Kudos
RhettZufelt
MVP Frequent Contributor
Ok so for the project I am doing I only need to display two pictures. So I figured I would just have two <linkfield> tags instead of one <multiimagefield> tag. They would be clickable thumbnails that open the picture in the internet browser, and that would be great. So I put them in there and only one picture shows up. I've tested both fields to make sure they there are no spelling errors or anything like that, and they work fine individually. So perhaps it is not possible. if I set the "icon_or_text_or_img" property to text  for one picture and the other to "img" they show up fine and are clickable links, but I cannot get two thumbnail pictures to show up. Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Curious what you had to do to get the thumbnail to show?  Do they have to be created somehow?
Mine seems to be working, but I get a photo icon in the pop up, instead of a thumbnail image.

Thanks,

R_
0 Kudos