Select to view content in your preferred language

Takes 2 times opening to get local services

02-24-2011 05:47 AM
MollyAzami
New Contributor
Something odd has been happening.
When I first open my flexviewer URL every morning, my local ArcGIS Server services are not showing.  They are listed in the menu, but not "turning on" and not showing their layers (no expand arrow), indicating the bind is not yet set.

But as soon as I close it, then open the URL a second time in the browser, they are there. 
If I check the rest Mapservice/ URL BEFORE opne flex viewer, all the info is there and is working fine.

This has been EVERYDAY and only on first open in the day...not after changes.  It happens even if there were no changes made the day before.

Anyone have any idea what may be happening?
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus
Molly,

Sounds like you are experiencing the sleeping map service syndrome. What version of ArcGIS Server are you using including service pack?
0 Kudos
GeraldLee__GISP
Occasional Contributor
Molly,

Sounds like you are experiencing the sleeping map service syndrome. What version of ArcGIS Server are you using including service pack?

Thats pretty dang funny. you hit the naik on the head with "sleeping map service syndrome". thats exactly what i have been experiencing. that happens to me also. its not every day and its not with every service. Seems like it happens more with my dynamic services than cached ones.
0 Kudos
MollyAzami
New Contributor
I am using ArcGIS Server 10.0.0.0

The MXDs linked to ArcSDE 9.3.1
Could that be the reason?  they are suppose to be compatible....

Our production environment it 9.3.1, but I am building the web maps using ArcGIS 10 in a development environment, but reading the data from production...not doing any editing via the web.
0 Kudos
MollyAzami
New Contributor
Thats pretty dang funny. you hit the naik on the head with "sleeping map service syndrome". thats exactly what i have been experiencing. that happens to me also. its not every day and its not with every service. Seems like it happens more with my dynamic services than cached ones.

Both the ones I am using are Dynamic.
0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus
Molly,

ESRI Recommends keeping all products on the same version... But that should not be the issue.

Look at the attached image that is suppose to resolve this issue in ArcGIS Server 10. The screenshot is from ArcGIS Server Manager for one a particular service.
0 Kudos
MollyAzami
New Contributor
Molly,

ESRI Recommends keeping all products on the same version...

Yes, we know, but it takes a long time for us to upgrade as we have a very complex architecture, With Telvent Designer on top of ESRI apps and then a whole slew of in-house extensions on top of that....  We JUST upgraded to 9.3.1 from 9.2 in December....

Thank you again for helping me out Robert!
I will set that check and see how it works!
0 Kudos
MollyAzami
New Contributor
It worked, no sleeping this morning! woohoo! 🙂
0 Kudos