Select to view content in your preferred language

Preview of two great new widgets coming out mid January 2011

12-30-2010 10:46 AM
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus
All,

I have been working hard on two great new widgets that I want you to preview. The final versions will be made available Mid January 2011 and submitted to the Flex a Widget competition.

http://www.esri.com/events/devsummit/get-involved/widget-challenge.html

The first is a new route widget for FlexViewer 2.2

Its' feature include:

• Up to ten stops that can be added to the map interactively or by single line address matching using Bing geocoder.

• Up to ten point barriers that can be added in the same fashion as stops.

• Interactively added stops and barriers are automatically reverse geocoded.

• You can calculate by time or distance and optionally use best sequence.

• Route segments can be individually clicked in the directions list and visualized using a polyline animation (Thanks to Mark Deaton).

• The big deal for this widget is its' printing capability. Both direct printer output and PDF output are supported. Multi page output with headers and footers and the option to include the large route image are all included. The individual direction segments have maneuver arrows that are included by default but can optionally be turned off. Things like configuring alternating directions background color can also be configured.

So if you are a developer and don't care about routing but want to know how to do moderately advanced multi page printing and AlivePDF techniques than this widget is for you.

Preview here:
http://gis.calhouncounty.org/FlexViewer2.2/index.html?config=config-route.xml

The second one is a new infoTemplate for featurelayers.

The Attachment Relate Info Window Widgets' features include:

• Ability to specify which fields are displayed

• Specify one link field that will display as a clickable text or an actual image in the info window

• Buttons at the bottom of the window for Zooming to feature, querying attachments, querying related features or tables

• Attachments are preview only and are displayed in a custom grid popup not the standard attachment inspector.

• Relates are initially displayed in a grid that allows for the selection of which related feature you want to preview and then when you choose the one you want to see then a floating datagrid is displayed with the related records.

In the examples below click on the point in the screen.

Preview of attachment and link capability:
http://gis.calhouncounty.org/FlexViewer2.2/index.html?config=config-attachment.xml

Preview of related feature capability:
http://gis.calhouncounty.org/FlexViewer2.2/index.html?config=config-relate.xml

preview of image link in info window:
http://gis.calhouncounty.org/FlexViewer2.2/index.html?config=config-infoimage.xml
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
156 Replies
DasaPaddock
Esri Regular Contributor
Robert,

Are you referring to the info and infoconfig attributes on the layer tag? These are not being deprecated. We've just deprecated SimpleInfoWin widget, but info and infoconfig are still useful as extension points for custom pop-ups.
0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus
Dasa,

Thanks for setting me straight on that. I see that you guys are using the new PopUpInfo on out of the box widgets, so is this PopUpInfo the better way to go?
0 Kudos
philippschnetzer
Occasional Contributor III
I've moved an app from 2.2 to 2.3.1 so that I could take advantage of the new configurable popups.  Problem is that I am using Robert's awesome relate tool on my parcel layer - and my parcel polygons cover all visible geometry.  Turns out that my configured popups will only work if I disable the relate tool because the relate tool seems to take precedence over the popups.  Even if I place my other layers overtop of the parcel polygons I am still unable to click on them and have a popup appear.

In my situation I have the parcel polygons always showing and I am not giving the user the option of removing them - just the way it has to be....

So, I am really hoping this can be resolved because I reaaaalllly don't care for the identify tool....

Perhaps the relate tool could be initiated by having to click on an icon in the header (just like the other tools) rather than just having it automatically be 'on' all of the time.  This way the popups would work all the time automatically and only cease working when the relate tool is being used...

Here's a thought - having the 'relate tool' icon in the header bar change to another type of icon (indicating an ON position) when it is clicked - and thus enabling the relate feature.  And then when the icon is clicked again it turns to an OFF icon and disables the relate feature.

At this point the relate tool is far more important than popups so I will have to stick with the identify tool for the time being.

I have no idea how demanding of a change to the code this is so I'm not sure if this is an unreasonable request but I thought I would put it out there....

thanks!!

edit: after thinking about this some more I do have another option - to give the user the ability to turn on and off the parcel layer - not the preferred solution but this could work in my case....
0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus
Philipp,

My Attachment Relate Info Window Widget uses basically the same triggering as the new PopUpInfo windows in 2.3. I find it strange that you can not have the parcel layer at the bottom of the map using my Attachment Relate Info Window Widget and other layers on top using PopUpInfo windows...

The idea about a button to trigger the widget is not feasible in the design of the my widget, so that's a no go.

Maybe you should show me how you are configuring both mine and the PopUps, by posting your config.xml.
0 Kudos
philippschnetzer
Robert,

Here's the operational layers part of my config.xml:

<operationallayers>

<layer label="Property" type="feature" visible="true" alpha="1" imageformat="png32" mode="onDemand"
        url="http://www.xxxxxxxx.com/ArcGIS/rest/services/PROPERTY/MapServer/0"
                info="widgets/InfoTemplates/AttRelateInfoWinWidget.swf"
                infoconfig="widgets/InfoTemplates/xxxxxxxx.xml"/>  
      </layer>    

<layer label="Layers" type="dynamic" visible="true" alpha="1" imageformat="png32"
              url="http://www.xxxxxxxx.com/ArcGIS/rest/services/WORKING/MapServer">
            <sublayer id="2" popupconfig="popups/civic.xml"/>
             <sublayer id="23" popupconfig="popups/zoning.xml"/>
    </layer> 

</operationallayers>

I've tried putting the property layer as the bottom layer of all my layers (as above...) but your relate tool still overrides the popups.  I only configured popups for a couple layers above just for testing - the civic is a point file and the zoning is a polygon.

I think I can get around this issue by allowing the user to turn on/off the property layer to be able to enable the popups - but it is not ideal since the property lines (I say lines because I have only the outline of the polygons showing...) should pretty much be always visible since that is the main purpose of my app...

thanks!
0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus
Phillip,

I have setup a test case and can confirm what you are seeing. It seems that my code using the InfoTemplate has precedence over the PopUpInfo... There is an enhancement request right now that would allow there to be something like a next record button when multiple overlaping features are picked.
0 Kudos
glennhazelton
Robert,
I am responding here as you suggested.
thanks for being  willing to hear my tale..
i am likely trying to do something that isn't conceptual correct.
i would love to have your thoughts and advise.

i have a pt layer and a table with multiple hyperlinks per pt.
in arcSDE i have joined the 2 together.
arcmap doesnt like this.
if i use the select by attribute it will say "2 records selected" but if i look at the attribute table i will see only one. (1:many joins are not supported).
however, if i use the hyperlink lightningbolt tool i get a list of the 2 hyperlinks in the 'jumpto' window.

outside of  going thru the layer (1000s of pts) and moving the multiple attachments into the geoddatabase table as 'attachments', i am not sure how to do this and am not sure the powers that be would want the tifs 'stored outside' their master image directory.

if i create a pivot table then i have multiple fields that have imagenames.

i could go thru the images and turn them into multipage images (again a long process i dont have energy or time for)

this is why i thought maybe your relate-identify would be useful.
0 Kudos
HalilSiddique
Occasional Contributor II
Hi Robert,

Just been looking at the route widget and the print map function on your site, is it possibel to release the print/pdf option as a seperate widget?

Cheers

Halil
0 Kudos
JeffLewis2
New Contributor
Richard, I'm using the compiled version of the Attachment Relate widget you developed. Is there a way to limit and organize the fields shown in the related table? Also is there a way to query the related table?

Great widget and thanks for sharing it. I'm finding more and more ways to use it.
0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus
Jeff,

There is currently no configuration of the related tables.
0 Kudos