Select to view content in your preferred language

Empty Edit Window (Edit Widget, FLEX)

12-13-2010 08:02 AM
PaoloTovar
New Contributor
I've been modifying the Flex View for my own purposes and one of the capability i need is Editing.
I added the Feature Service which has a Versioned polygon file but when i go to edit it the Editor Window is completely blank and i can't edit any data. 

I created a couple of Templates but those don't show up in the window.  I have no idea what i'm doing wrong.  I've also confirmed that the Geometry service link works.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
17 Replies
SimonMorgan
Regular Contributor
I've been modifying the Flex View for my own purposes and one of the capability i need is Editing.
I added the Feature Service which has a Versioned polygon file but when i go to edit it the Editor Window is completely blank and i can't edit any data. 

I created a couple of Templates but those don't show up in the window.  I have no idea what i'm doing wrong.  I've also confirmed that the Geometry service link works.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Is the flex app referencing a database login that has edit privileges to the data?
0 Kudos
PaoloTovar
New Contributor
The service i'm using is a Feature Service and under the ArcGISServer the edit box is check as able to edit.
The data is on a separate server though..but i'm logged in under a user that can make edits on that data. 
I think you are on to something, how do i give the flex application an assign login that i will will have the editing ability?   FYI i'm running the viewer from chrome (localhost/flexviewer/).  

Thanks,

Paolo
0 Kudos
PaoloTovar
New Contributor
I fixed it, thanks
When i used v2.2 and edited it in Flash builder it just seemed to worked
0 Kudos
GonzaloTapia_Koch
New Contributor II
the edit widget don't work for me either. it's blank.

I can add buttons but the feature templantes for editing layer don't appear.

I think it's don't work only with the modification of xml file, it needs that swf file will be changed.

i'm trying to modify that file (specifically EditWidget.mxml) with Adobe Flash Builder, i recompile the project with the path for my Geometry Service (h_ttp://myhost/server/services/Geometry/GeometryServer) but i had no luck.

Could someone help me with the steps to succesfully modify and use this widget with in a custom aplication?

PD: Sorry for my bad english...
0 Kudos
JonFisher
New Contributor III
The first thing to double-check is in the mxd. You need to be connecting to the data via an account which a) is set as an account capable of having edit privileges and b) actually has edit privileges on the data set you're connecting it. You can double-check this by starting an edit session in your mxd and verifying that you can make edits and save them. I've also found that saving as an msd prevents editing from working, I have to use an mxd.

Once you're sure the mxd is set up with edit permissions and it's available on your server, create the map service being sure to check the Feature box (and ensure Edit is checked below).

The last step is just making sure you call the layer correctly in config.xml. You don't really need to alter editwidget.xml except to change the polygon editing tools available, or switch from the default ESRI geometry server. Your editable layer should look like this in config.xml:
            <layer label="Editable Features" type="feature" visible="false"
                info="widgets/InfoTemplates/SimpleInfoWinWidget.swf"
                infoconfig="widgets/InfoTemplates/IWT_IncidentAreas.xml"
                url="http://sampleserver3.arcgisonline.com/ArcGIS/rest/services/HomelandSecurity/operations/FeatureServer..."/>      

the key things in the above:
1) make sure type="feature"
2) make sure the URL is a) going through the FeatureServer link (not MapServer) and b) ends in the number for the specific layer you wish to edit
3) infoconfig will determine which fields are visible when you are NOT editing, when you are editing all fields will be visible and sorted alphabetically.

Of course, you also need to call the Edit Widget in config.xml:
           <widget label="Edit"
                 icon="assets/images/i_edit.png"
                 config="widgets/Edit/EditWidget.xml"
                 url="widgets/Edit/EditWidget.swf"/>

If you have been playing with source code, start using ESRI's sample service (above) to verify that editing in general works, then you can move to troubleshooting with your actual service.

hope this helps!

EDIT: I forgot to mention that the above is how it works with anonymous editing. If you want to restrict the ability to edit to certain people, you need to secure your map service, generate a token, call the service with the token in config.xml, and then secure the entire viewer so it requires a login to view. I have a separate view-only app and editable app, and secure the latter with IIS.
0 Kudos
ChrisKlaube
New Contributor
Awesome info! Thanks for the detailed explanation. Couldn't have worked smoother.
0 Kudos
GonzaloTapia_Koch
New Contributor II
The first thing to double-check is in the mxd. You need to be connecting to the data via an account which a) is set as an account capable of having edit privileges and b) actually has edit privileges on the data set you're connecting it. You can double-check this by starting an edit session in your mxd and verifying that you can make edits and save them. I've also found that saving as an msd prevents editing from working, I have to use an mxd.

Once you're sure the mxd is set up with edit permissions and it's available on your server, create the map service being sure to check the Feature box (and ensure Edit is checked below).

The last step is just making sure you call the layer correctly in config.xml. You don't really need to alter editwidget.xml except to change the polygon editing tools available, or switch from the default ESRI geometry server. Your editable layer should look like this in config.xml:
            <layer label="Editable Features" type="feature" visible="false"
                info="widgets/InfoTemplates/SimpleInfoWinWidget.swf"
                infoconfig="widgets/InfoTemplates/IWT_IncidentAreas.xml"
                url="http://sampleserver3.arcgisonline.com/ArcGIS/rest/services/HomelandSecurity/operations/FeatureServer/2"/>      

the key things in the above:
1) make sure type="feature"
2) make sure the URL is a) going through the FeatureServer link (not MapServer) and b) ends in the number for the specific layer you wish to edit
3) infoconfig will determine which fields are visible when you are NOT editing, when you are editing all fields will be visible and sorted alphabetically.

Of course, you also need to call the Edit Widget in config.xml:
           <widget label="Edit"
                 icon="assets/images/i_edit.png"
                 config="widgets/Edit/EditWidget.xml"
                 url="widgets/Edit/EditWidget.swf"/>

If you have been playing with source code, start using ESRI's sample service (above) to verify that editing in general works, then you can move to troubleshooting with your actual service.

hope this helps!

EDIT: I forgot to mention that the above is how it works with anonymous editing. If you want to restrict the ability to edit to certain people, you need to secure your map service, generate a token, call the service with the token in config.xml, and then secure the entire viewer so it requires a login to view. I have a separate view-only app and editable app, and secure the latter with IIS.

Yes, with this indications my widget is now working. Thank you so much Jon.
0 Kudos
TylerWaring
Occasional Contributor II
Greetings,

I am trying to set up my flex viewer with some editing capabilities and am having problems.

Could someone expand upon the following step?

I am publish a gis resource using ArcGIS Server Manager. The only thing that I see that resembles these instructions is under Capabilities. I click on the Feature Access Checkbox under Capabilities but still have no option to check edit.

Neither of the other steps in this process have anything like this either.
0 Kudos
JonFisher
New Contributor III
On the capabilities tab, you have to click the words "Feature Access" to see the options for the feature component of the service. Below the list of options with check boxes you'll see two new check boxes for "Operations allowed:", Query and Editing. Editing needs to be checked.

Since this post is about a year old, the syntax in the Flex viewer has changed in several ways but you can see the new formats to use at http://help.arcgis.com/en/webapps/flexviewer/help/index.html#/Layer_tag/01m30000000p000000/

Being sure you're using an SDE account with edit access (or pointing to local data) happens while you're setting up the mxd, before you get to Manager at all, and hasn't changed.
0 Kudos