Select to view content in your preferred language

Dynamic Legend picture fill hatch symbology

12-08-2010 07:22 PM
IanHamilton
Deactivated User
Hi , Has any one managed to get the dynamic legend widget the show these types of legend colours.
I can only get a solid fill colour no matter what I publish?

Or is there an alternative legend I cuold use?

Thanks,
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
20 Replies
AshleyOwens
Emerging Contributor
Yes, we are on 10 sp2.
0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus
Ashley,

Is the symbol type you are talking about in the legend at my live preview site?

http://gis.calhouncounty.org/FlexViewer2.4/index.html?config=config-dLegend.xml

If not what symbol are you attempting?
0 Kudos
AshleyOwens
Emerging Contributor
Hi Robert.  Please see attached file where I've included the symbols as they display in our static legend as well as in the dynamic legend.  Thanks so much for all your hard work on this, and for your continued support!  --Ashley
0 Kudos
BjornSvensson
Esri Regular Contributor
For complex symbols, there is somtimes a difference between the symbol that ArcGIS Server draws in the server-side created legend, and the (sometime simplified) symbol representation that it reports on the REST Service directory (which I'm guessing is what Robert's widget is using).

This symbol mismatch is also true for certain complex symbols if you compare how they look in the Edit Widget (using the REST symbol) and the Legend widget (created server-side). We are working on ways to make that better for 3.0 and ArcGIS 10.1.

I'm guessing this might be same issue causing problems for Ashley.
0 Kudos
AshleyOwens
Emerging Contributor
Robert - Can the symbols in my earlier attached file be supported in the Dynamic Legend widget?
Thank you!
0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus
Ashley,

Bjorn is spot on, as it looks like the symbology that you are using is composite line symbols and REST does not handle those correctly. The only work around for now is to change the symbolgy you are using for those. FEMA actually uses a simpler green and yellow solid fill pattern for Flood Zone many times.
0 Kudos
AshleyOwens
Emerging Contributor
Hi Robert - We have changed the symbology to solid fill with degrees of transparency (since these layers potentially overlap). These changes work for us on the map, but the symbols in the Dynamic Legend appear brighter than in the map. Symbols with 0 transparency do not have this problem - the colors show up accurately in the Dynamic Legend widget. See attached image for examples of symbols with transparency. Is there another possibility you can recommend for this situation?

Thanks so much,
Ashley
0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus
Ashley,

I just tested some of my own map services with transparency and the dynamic legend shows them correctly transparency and all... I am using SP3 on server not sure that is the difference or not.
0 Kudos
AshleyOwens
Emerging Contributor
Bjorn,
Would you say the hatched symbology will be supported in Flex 3.0? They render fine for me on ArcGIS Server 10 sp2. 
If so, I will wait to implement this widget when we upgrade Flex.
Thanks!
Ashley
0 Kudos
BjornSvensson
Esri Regular Contributor
Would you say the hatched symbology will be supported in Flex 3.0?

Yes, they should work in Flex API 3.0, as long as you are using ArcGIS Server 10.1.
0 Kudos