ArcGIS Viewer for Flex 2.4 just released :)

07-28-2011 05:18 PM
BjornSvensson
Esri Regular Contributor
Today we released version 2.4 of both ArcGIS API for Flex and ArcGIS Viewer for Flex.

There are lots of highlights to both Flex API and Flex Viewer.  Check out the What's New in the updated help for the full list of changes.  Here's my top-10 for the Viewer 2.4:

1. New Geoprocessing widget that works with almost any geoprocessing task.

2. Clustering of points from feature layers.

3. Configuring definition expression on sublayers within a layer of type="dynamic" (an ArcGIS Dynamic map Service).

4. Being able to set the widget size in the configuration file.

5. KML Layer - the <layer> tag supports type="kml".

6. Support for four new locales have been added - Arabic, Brazilian Portuguese, Italian and Russian - to the existing six locales.

7. Initial "view" of Search and Locate widget can be set in widget configuration file.

8. Works better with Adobe Flex 4.5 SDK.

9. Widgets can be centered using new verticalcenter and horizontalcenter.

10. Bug fixes:

• Color of hyperlinks in popup windows remain the same even after clicking the link.

• Multiple bug fixes related to widget layout locations and run-away widgets. Widgets can be place anywhere even when the overview map widget is open. Floating and vertical layouts don't experience run-away widgets.

• Overview map widget can be placed in any corner.

Tip: If you don't see the new pages, try emptying your browser cache, or wait a little for all our web servers to clear their caches...

http://help.arcgis.com/en/webapps/flexviewer/help/#/What_s_new_in_2_4/01m300000011000000/
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
42 Replies
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus
Lee,

Your welcome. The API and Viewer Team are working on getting the documentation up to date and Fixing bugs and likely focusing on the 3.0 version of the API for ArcGIS 10.1 all at the same time.
0 Kudos
francescodi_vito
New Contributor
Hy Guys,
i have download the source code of FlexViewer 2.4. I work with flash builder 4.5. I have import the source code flexviewer .zip and after in the flex build path i have set the lib. 2.4, but i have 28 errors in the viewer, in the manager folder and widget folder.
i tried to change the SDK in 4.1 but the problems is the same.
Why?
Thanks
0 Kudos
NasifAlshaier
New Contributor
Hy Guys,
i have download the source code of FlexViewer 2.4. I work with flash builder 4.5. I have import the source code flexviewer .zip and after in the flex build path i have set the lib. 2.4, but i have 28 errors in the viewer, in the manager folder and widget folder.
i tried to change the SDK in 4.1 but the problems is the same.
Why?
Thanks

I got smilar error ... try to go the Flex Modules and add any missing MXML files..

Nasif
0 Kudos
francescodi_vito
New Contributor
Hy Nasif,
thanks but i have try this and i have always the error. The errors refer to VetTiledLayer and Render mxml.
0 Kudos
BjornSvensson
Esri Regular Contributor
@francesco_81,
Could you show us the exact error messages? 

Also, please double-check that you are using the 4.1 or higher SDK (and let us know which exact one).  Does it also have any custom widgets or is it just the downloaded flexviewer source code?
0 Kudos
francescodi_vito
New Contributor
Hi Bjorn,
i solved the problem! I extracted the flexviewr and i uploaded the project folder in Flash builder.
But if i try to upload the .rar with import function in flash builder, i have any error. There are 2 error that are repeated several time:
1- VetTiledLayer mxml are not compiled
2- Rederer mxml are not comppiled

I tried to add the 2 mxml in flex moduls but i have always the error.

I use the 4.5.1 SDK
Thanks
0 Kudos
mihkelhaav
New Contributor
I've migrated from 2.3.1 to 2.4 by copying XML files.  The viewer appears to be working fine, except that the busy "clock" icon won't go away.

Nate S

Same problem here. The busy icon appears when REloading widgets. The viewer works fine, though. :confused:

Mihkel H
0 Kudos
JoshWhite
Regular Contributor III
I still say that part of the problem is how you upgrade to a new version.  Copying xml could cause all sorts of problems.  There needs to be some sort of script or other program that automatically updates your xml files to the new version.  If something can't be updated for whatever reason, it could be tagged in the xml or a txt file could be created.  If I knew anything about scripting I would work on something like this but I don't so I will have to rely on somebody else to do it.
Josh White, AICP
Principal Planner

City of Arkansas City
0 Kudos
DonCopple
Occasional Contributor III
With the two uncompiled mxml files, have you added those widgets to your src/widgets folder?  Once that is done, click on project and then properties in Flash Builder, click add and then browse to the src/widgets and then your widget folder. Search there for the mxml file that you want to add.  Once you select your file, then make sure you click the radio button that says Do not optimize that way you can load the compiled .swf and associate .mxl file into several applications.

Second once you complete the above click project and clean.  This will clean everything in the bin-debug folder with a new compiled widget with new .swf, and .xml folder.

Hope that helps.....
0 Kudos
earthmineinc
New Contributor
Hi,

I developed a widget based on Flexviewer-2-3, and when I copy and paste it into the new flexviewer-2-4 environment and try to launch it the application crashes saying this :

TypeError: Error #1009: Cannot access a property or method of a null object reference.
    at com.esri.viewer.managers::WidgetManager/createWidget()
    at com.esri.viewer.managers::WidgetManager/runWidget()
    at com.esri.viewer.managers::WidgetManager/widgetReadyHandler()
    at flash.events::EventDispatcher/dispatchEventFunction()
    at flash.events::EventDispatcher/dispatchEvent()
    at ModuleInfoProxy/moduleEventHandler()
    at ModuleInfo/readyHandler()
    at mx.core::FlexModuleFactory/update()
    at mx.core::FlexModuleFactory/docFrameHandler()
    at mx.core::FlexModuleFactory/docFrameListener()

Is there a way to make a 2-3compiled widget work with a flexviewer2-4 environment? (i mean other way than just recompile it with the 2-4environment source)

Thank for your feedback.

Alex
0 Kudos