Why it takes so long to applying changes to Subtypes or Domain table?

08-08-2021 08:56 PM
Song_Li
New Contributor III

It is barely acceptably on File Geodatabase. On SDE, any minor change will take 2-3 minutes to Apply changes. and this happens when we have very few data. Is there any way to speed it up?

Revising rules is also super slow. Why it is faster to run as Python script than running in the toolbox? 

Cheers,

Song

0 Kudos
4 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I'm sorry I don't have an answer for you, Song.  But I wanted to say that you are absolutely not alone in these questions!

Song_Li
New Contributor III

The more time I wasted on UN, the more I reckon this is a product of failure. Instead of trying to design a solution for utilities, ESRI should focus on developing a tool which allows utility expertise to develop their own model, and allow international organisations to standardise the model. Now the tools ESRI provided are so crappy, and the solutions provided are over complicated and pointless. I reckon this product is to be abandoned in near future. What a waste of time. 

0 Kudos
Jens_Dalsgaard
Occasional Contributor

Assuming your post is the result of a bad Monday I take the time to answer you.

It IS possible to develop your own data model for utility network; It's a complex and cumbersome task though. I suggest referring to the electric data model released by the Utility Network Community - freely available. We are actively migrating into this data model with very positive result.

The data model is freely available here: utilitynetworkcommunity.com 
A LinkedIn post on our migration to UN: https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/migrating-arcgis-utility-network-jens-dalsgaard/

With respect to tools: Esri is delivering a framework - a very flexible one indeed. Any partner with the right skills may create tailored functionality further increasing usability.

Don't give up to early. ArcGIS Utility Network is not to be abandoned - it is destined to rule the world 😉

Jens Dalsgaard
Principal Product Owner
Power Grid, V O L U E
jens.dalsgaard&@volue.com
Volue Technology Denmark A/S
Alfred Nobels Vej 27
9220 Aalborg Øst, Denmark
volue.com
0 Kudos
GIS_Solutions
Occasional Contributor II

ArcGIS Pro version 3.0.2 still has this slowness. I guess the dev team can't really figure this out, really incredible !

0 Kudos