Validate Network Topology Workflow

Jump to solution
12-09-2021 02:39 PM
JimmyBowden
Occasional Contributor II

Are there any best practices for running validate Network Topology against a branched version Utility Network?

1. In a version other than sde.Default I make data changes and get dirty areas.
  2. Click the Validate Network Topology Current Extent button. Dirty areas are gone.
  3. Save
  4. Reconcile and Post
  5. Switch to sde.Default
  6. The dirty area is now in sde.Default
  7. Click the Validate Network Topology Current Extent button. Dirty areas are really gone.

Based on those steps there is always a need to run Validate Network Topology against sde.Default even after clearing dirty areas in another version.  Is this the proper workflow?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MelissaJarman
Esri Contributor

Yes that is a proper workflow. I think the workflow you have outlined is good because you would want to validate your edits in your user version prior to reconcile/post to make sure you aren't violating any rules that would generate errors based on your edits. I think you just were not expecting the post to default to generate dirty areas again. Just know that edits brought over are going to generate dirty areas in default even if they are validated in the user version prior.

This topic touches on this a bit as you have outlined in your workflow: 

https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/help/data/utility-network/dirty-areas-in-a-utility-network....

View solution in original post

7 Replies
MelissaJarman
Esri Contributor

Yes that is a proper workflow. I think the workflow you have outlined is good because you would want to validate your edits in your user version prior to reconcile/post to make sure you aren't violating any rules that would generate errors based on your edits. I think you just were not expecting the post to default to generate dirty areas again. Just know that edits brought over are going to generate dirty areas in default even if they are validated in the user version prior.

This topic touches on this a bit as you have outlined in your workflow: 

https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/help/data/utility-network/dirty-areas-in-a-utility-network....

Billy
by

Hi,

There is an additional behavior of the Validate + Reconcile + Post edits workflow mentioned above that I find strange. After validating the dirty areas in the Default version, if you return to the named version all the dirty areas that were previously validated are back.

The link that you provide have this paragraph:

When a version is reconciled with the default version, dirty areas that exist in the named version will remain and dirty areas are created from edits generated by the reconcile process. Likewise, when edits from a named version are posted to the default version, dirty areas are created for edits that were made in the named version. This includes edits that were previously validated in the named version.

According to the workflow described above the dirty areas in named version were validated before Reconcile + Post. Looking at the documentation, I interpret the bold text above as saying that only the dirty areas that were not validated before the Reconcile should persist, but that's not what I have experienced. When I return to the named version I have to validate again all the edits or Reconcile again to remove all the dirty areas in the named version. Is this the expected behavior?

My system configuration is this:

Enterprise 10.8.1 and Pro 2.9.

Regards.

0 Kudos
Johan-Terblans
New Contributor II

@Billy I remember there being a bug that had similar behaviour, whenever you reconciled a named version, the dirty areas would re-appear that was validated in the version already. This was fixed in one of the UNM server patches, so maybe check that you have the latest UNM patch on your utility network ArcGIS Server. I think on 10.8.1 that would be patch 5 (b).

0 Kudos
Billy
by

Hi Johan,

I was behind on the server's patches. I applied all of them, but I still have the dirty areas coming back after posting.

I will have to call tech-support.

0 Kudos
Johan-Terblans
New Contributor II

The way to think on this is that validate applies any gis feature edits (add, update and delete) to the utility network model (nodes/edges). 

The reconcile and post - only applies your gis edits made in the version, again to DEFAULT and does not bring across any changes(edits) to your dirty area features (or network model) to DEFAULT.
That is way you need to run validate again, as those gis edits now generates a dirty area in DEFAULT and you need to now update your DEFAULT utility network model with those network changes.

0 Kudos
JimmyBowden

While performing steps 1 (edits features) and 2 (validate network) above in a version eventually an error will occur that prevents the user from saving edits.  So far I have been unable to consistently reproduce the behavior. This leading me to believe that validating in a version is not a good idea.  @MelissaJarman any insights?

0 Kudos
MelissaJarman
Esri Contributor

Jimmy -

I would recommend you contact support once you get a consistently reproducible case for any type of error that is preventing you from saving. You should be able to work in a user version and validate your edits. There are many conditions in play when performing edits in a user version and working with dirty area management with a UN. While you can get general pointers here, our support group would be able to take a closer look to give you guidance. 

0 Kudos