Terms mapping geometric network to utility network.

Jump to solution
07-25-2023 12:46 PM
VaL
by
New Contributor III

Hi all,

I am very new to the concert of utility network. Please be gentle, a few newbie (stupid) questions will follow. 

I have read some documentation about UN, but still have some things which are not clear. 

I have a geometric network now for electricity now. In there I have a lot of feature classes, e.g. HV,LV (lines), meter, pole (point). 

The way I understand it is that UN has very few feature classes. Instead the "things" are contained in single table and what they are is determined by attributes. 

I read about the terms asset group and asset type. 

What I don't understand is how the multiple tables in GN will be translated into single tables using the above UN terms.

For instance will the 2 feature classes HV and LV become entries in one line feature classe of the UN each with attributes describing their voltage? And which term would this be asset group or asset type?

Or I am completely wrong so far?

Any help appreciated. 

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
BillBott
Occasional Contributor

HI @VaL and welcome! This could be a very lengthy conversation and explanation as there are quite a few differences between UN & GN. However, specifically to your question

@VaL wrote:

(snip)

For instance will the 2 feature classes HV and LV become entries in one line feature classes of the UN each with attributes describing their voltage? And which term would this be asset class or asset type

The answer is "yes". 🙂 What was formerly known as the feature class subtype is now known as Asset Group and a new "super subtype" (a subtype of the subtype)  is referred to as the Asset Type

There are many ways of organizing the data with these two new constructs. One common practice is to put HV in one Asset Group and MV and LV in others. Then, within those Asset Groups, you can further characterize the data by Asset Type.

A picture is worth a 1000 words?

2023-07-25 14_00_26-Clipboard.png

View solution in original post

10 Replies
TobeyKane-Seitz
New Contributor III

It sounds like you're on the right track. It may be helpful for you to look at an example data dictionary from a Utility Network foundation solution for your domain. From there you can see how different types of features are organized in the UN feature classes. 

For water, lines that carry resources are all organized into the Water Line feature class. From there you can distinguish the different Asset Groups (mains vs service lines) and the Asset Types (residential service vs commercial service). All line features will have the same base set of attributes, and you can further specify what attributes will display at the asset group level

RobertKrisher
Esri Regular Contributor

I agree with @TobeyKane-Seitz that you should look at the data dictionary for the latest Electric Utility Network Foundation solution from Esri. Each of these solutions includes a data model, sample data, maps, and a data dictionary that describes what you're looking for along with instructions on how to deploy your own solution. As an example, here is a screenshot of the "Asset Types" associated with the Medium Voltage Overhead Conductor "Asset Group" (which as John mentions below, Asset Group = Subtype).

RobertKrisher_0-1690316063557.png

There are additional fields for modelling the specific voltage of features, but every feature's classification (in the electric model) is related to its voltage level. This allows the model to create various rules that control how these types of features are allowed to be connected as well as what types of networks they are allowed to participate in.

0 Kudos
MarceloMarques
Esri Regular Contributor

The Esri Training will help you get to the next level with Utility Network.

Utility Network Fundamentals | Learning Plan (esri.com)

| Marcelo Marques | Principal Product Engineer | Esri |
| Cloud & Database Administrator | OCP - Oracle Certified Professional |
I work with Enterprise Geodatabases since 1997.
“ I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them." Isaac Isimov
0 Kudos
MichaelParma
New Contributor III

I think the Configuring Utility Networks in ArcGIS especially lays a really good foundation for those who are responsible for designing and building the database for their organization.

0 Kudos
JohnAlsup
Esri Contributor

Reducing the number of feature classes in the UN was done for performance reasons.  The UN uses a pair of attributes to define what the asset is, Asset Group and Asset Type.  Asset Group in the Electric model follows ANSI C84 standard for equipment (HV, MV, LV).  These are Asset Groups.  If you look at the editor map, you will notice that some fields are aliased differently by asset group (which is a subtype). Also attribute domains are assigned at the Asset Group (subtype) level and the HV uses a different domain for Nominal Voltage (which is line to line voltage) that MV or LV. The key is too look at the attributes using the editor map.

John Alsup
jalsup@esri.com
0 Kudos
BillBott
Occasional Contributor

HI @VaL and welcome! This could be a very lengthy conversation and explanation as there are quite a few differences between UN & GN. However, specifically to your question

@VaL wrote:

(snip)

For instance will the 2 feature classes HV and LV become entries in one line feature classes of the UN each with attributes describing their voltage? And which term would this be asset class or asset type

The answer is "yes". 🙂 What was formerly known as the feature class subtype is now known as Asset Group and a new "super subtype" (a subtype of the subtype)  is referred to as the Asset Type

There are many ways of organizing the data with these two new constructs. One common practice is to put HV in one Asset Group and MV and LV in others. Then, within those Asset Groups, you can further characterize the data by Asset Type.

A picture is worth a 1000 words?

2023-07-25 14_00_26-Clipboard.png

VaL
by
New Contributor III

Hi Bill

Thanks for the picture. 

I assume this is part of a UN? So you have a feature class in there called electric line. 

It seems to me that the asset group and asset type are domains (as in drop down coded value domains in fgdb). Is that right?

Than you assign value from these domains to the lines in your FC. 

2 things: where is the voltage separation by asset group? 

If you created a FC called electric line, what and where are the constraints imposed by the UN in terms of number of FCs?

0 Kudos
BillBott
Occasional Contributor

HI @VaL 

I think you have a lot of good suggestions in this thread on getting more detailed information - I was attempting to meet you where you are at and not overwhelm you with UN complexities right from the get-go - there is plenty of time for that. 🙂

| I assume this is part of a UN

Yes. 

asset group and asset type are domains?

AG is a subtype and you are correct that the "super-subtype" (a term of my own making to facilitate understanding) is represented by a domain dedicated to that end. 

| (W)here is the voltage separation by asset group?  

Transmission is HV, Primary is MV and Secondary is LV

If you created a FC called electric line, what and where are the constraints imposed by the UN in terms of number of FCs?

A UN implementation requires each of the documented feature classes, nothing more, nothing less. If you did create a FC called "Electric Line" not only would it be confusing to the user, it would not be recognized as part of the Utility Network definition.

Hope that helps you along your way. As @RobertKrisher a schema model may be worth a "million words" and indeed that may be true - but I would encourage you to take baby steps and understand the foundational concepts before diving into the myriad of nuance and detail, It is easy to get overwhelmed - at first but, it's also totally learnable and as you will soon see, it has a lot more potential than the GN did/does.

0 Kudos
RobertKrisher
Esri Regular Contributor

@VaL If a picture is worth 1000 words, the sample data model I linked to above is worth 1 million words. Follow the link I posted above to download a complete sample project with data you can you to experience this for yourself. All you need is an ArcGIS Pro license.

The feature class is Electric Line, each of these classes has subtypes (also called Asset Groups), then each subtype has a coded value domain that describes its Asset Types assigned to the assettype field.