Switchgear Upstream Trace Results

02-16-2022 01:49 PM
KyleGallagher16
New Contributor III

I have a distribution loop that consists of the following (see diagram below for reference):

• 2 feeders coming from substation circuit breakers
  • 3 pieces of Vista switchgears, each consisting of 6 switch positions and 4 radial feeders. All 3 switchgears are connected by tie feeders.
  • Switch positions are labeled by Device Status (Open/Closed), conductors are labeled by From Device Terminal-To Device Terminal.

KyleGallagher16_0-1645046710429.png

I have performed successful upstream traces on all feeders coming in and out of the top and bottom switchgears, both of which have a feeder coming in from the substation circuit breaker. For the 4 feeders coming out of the middle piece of switchgear the traces complete but have unexpected results. The expected result would be back to the busbar, up to the closed switch, then to the south piece of switchgear (SS:S2-SS:S2), then along the feeder going back to the substation circuit breaker.  Instead, it is picking up additional feeders from downstream breakers and including them in the results. The extra feeders getting picked up all terminate at transformers.

I've included the results of these 4 feeders below for reference. I have messed with the From Device Terminal-To Device Terminal attribute values but have not produced the desired results. Any thoughts on how I can get the correct trace results is much appreciated!

KyleGallagher16_1-1645047716541.png

KyleGallagher16_2-1645047716551.png

KyleGallagher16_3-1645047716558.png

KyleGallagher16_4-1645047716566.png

0 Kudos
4 Replies
MikeMillerGIS
Esri Frequent Contributor

We mocked up your switch gear configuration and cannot repo your results:  In our example, we did different versions, the top one uses bi-directional circuit breakers in the switchgear, the bottom is directional.  Results are the same:

MikeMillerGIS_0-1645117474312.png

Make sure you have the lines connected to the correct terminals.  Without the data, it is hard to guess what is causing the loop.

We tested with 2.9.1

0 Kudos
KyleGallagher16
New Contributor III

Thanks, Mike. I noticed you have device features along your busbar line feature. Are those busbar taps and busbar terminators? Are those necessary for getting the expected trace results? 

I am using 2.6.7. Is there another data reference besides the Naperville data I could use to get the proper line to terminal connections down? There doesn't appear to be any Medium Voltage Switchgear features or loop examples.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
MikeMillerGIS
Esri Frequent Contributor

I do not think the busbar taps/terminators are required.  I could send you my data, but it is a model that is still in development and only worked in 2.9.x.  Could you send me an asset package of the area with your sample and I can look what is going on?  Need to make sure it is not a 2.6 vs 2.9 issue too.

0 Kudos
KyleGallagher16
New Contributor III

Got it all figured out. On the first and second breaker coming out of the switchgear, while they were both going to transformers, I had low voltage service coming of them and going to the same service point, therefore creating a "loop within a loop" as shown below.

KyleGallagher16_0-1645225917363.png

0 Kudos