Is the ArcGIS Utility Network compatible with CIM and Multispeak?

Jump to solution
06-20-2023 10:50 AM
ShayneWright
New Contributor

Hi

We are considering using the ArcGIS Utility Network (UN) but before we do, I would like to confirm if it is compatible with the CIM and/or Multispeak electricity models that we use in our other applications (notably CIM in our transmission EMS)?

I understand that the UN used to be a Multispeak derivative and that there are some user groups trying to map the UN to the CIM in Europe, but I would like to confirm what Esri support the UN currently has with Multispeak and CIM? Import/export, common mapping, translation tools, etc.

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RemiMyers
Esri Contributor

There is no out-of-the-box process that takes a CIM export and imports it into a UN model.  Since you have Safe FME, you could model a workbench that could possibly take your specific CIM exports back to a network model but that would be highly dependent upon your organization's data requirements.  Your best path forward would be to consult with a business partner such as Similix.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
JohnAlsup
Esri Contributor

The electric foundation provides the ability to align with CIM.  SIMILIX and Safe Software both provide CIM extractors that will reformat the network export data to CIM.

John Alsup
jalsup@esri.com
0 Kudos
ShayneWright
New Contributor

Thanks we already have Safe FME, but can the extractors take a CIM export and import it into the Esri Utility Network model?

0 Kudos
Jesper_VintherChristensen
New Contributor

Hi Shayne,

You are welcome to contact me on jesper@similix.dk. We have worked with CIM based integration and the Utility Network for some years now and have a product for extracting CIM from the Utility Network to support integrations with EMS, DMS and power calculation packages.

Thanks

0 Kudos
ShayneWright
New Contributor

Hi

Can it take a CIM export and import it into the Esri Utility Network model?

Take care,

Shayne

0 Kudos
RemiMyers
Esri Contributor

There is no out-of-the-box process that takes a CIM export and imports it into a UN model.  Since you have Safe FME, you could model a workbench that could possibly take your specific CIM exports back to a network model but that would be highly dependent upon your organization's data requirements.  Your best path forward would be to consult with a business partner such as Similix.

0 Kudos
RobertKrisher
Esri Regular Contributor

If you're considering doing this yourself, I recommend you read the following article that explains how to parse Utility Network JSON files and includes a sample parser to get you started.

0 Kudos